Detailing Hornby 9F

Step by step images of adding a low coal load and flickering tail & firebox light. I hope this will be of some interest.

post-21360-0-43318800-1389633784_thumb.jpg

The first image shows how the motor scaffolding has been cut down to accompany the new coal load (the loco is loco end driven, not tender driven).

post-21360-0-60882600-1389633898_thumb.jpg

Now I scratch built the inside of the tender with any scrap of plasticard I could find in my draw! I then built up the layers of PVA glue, leaving the most recent layer to dry before adding the next, the final layer had real coal added. This took over 2 weeks.

post-21360-0-31789700-1389634013_thumb.jpgpost-21360-0-79738600-1389634015_thumb.jpg

Now to add the train-tech flickering tail-lamp + firebox light. These are some images of testing the lights.

post-21360-0-08308500-1389634090_thumb.jpgpost-21360-0-26374600-1389634095_thumb.jpg

Next a 1.8 mm hole was drilled to accompany the female insides of a JST socket, which were superglued into place for extra security.

post-21360-0-38629600-1389634220_thumb.jpg

Then two 0.8mm holes were drilled in the back of the tender and the taillamp light glued in place and wired up, ready for plugging into the battery unit. It was painted with 16 coats of white paint (it needed this many to prevent the light from shining through!) to add effect of a realistic lamp.

post-21360-0-47156500-1389634340_thumb.jpg

This is a image of the taillamp being tested.

post-21360-0-73607500-1389634397_thumb.jpg

Part of the chassis of the tender was cut away so a ON/OFF switch could be glued into place, the lever just sticking out underneath. The lever was dipped in humbrol matt black paint and then covered in heat-shrink tube so it is not to obvious. The switch will turn off the lights for both the firebox and taillamp.

post-21360-0-07280600-1389634554_thumb.jpg

A 3mm hole was then drilled in the firebox and the firebox LED glued into place. It was connected to two male insides of JST connectors which connect to the tender's female JST insides so the loco+tender can be two separate units. A driver was then added for extra detail and also to disguise the firebox LED a little.

post-21360-0-32316100-1389634749_thumb.jpg

Image of the final working model with flickering flame inside the firebox and a working taillamp.

Hope this is of some interest :)

Thanks, J.

Step by step images of adding a low coal load and flickering tail & firebox light. I hope this will be of some interest.

attachicon.gifPicture 009.jpg

The first image shows how the motor scaffolding has been cut down to accompany the new coal load (the loco is loco end driven, not tender driven).

attachicon.gifPicture 008.jpg

Now I scratch built the inside of the tender with any scrap of plasticard I could find in my draw! I then built up the layers of PVA glue, leaving the most recent layer to dry before adding the next, the final layer had real coal added. This took over 2 weeks.

attachicon.gifPicture 007.jpgattachicon.gifPicture 006.jpg

Now to add the train-tech flickering tail-lamp + firebox light. These are some images of testing the lights.

attachicon.gifPicture 011.jpgattachicon.gifPicture 010.jpg

Next a 1.8 mm hole was drilled to accompany the female insides of a JST socket, which were superglued into place for extra security.

attachicon.gifPicture 012.jpg

Then two 0.8mm holes were drilled in the back of the tender and the taillamp light glued in place and wired up, ready for plugging into the battery unit. It was painted with 16 coats of white paint (it needed this many to prevent the light from shining through!) to add effect of a realistic lamp.

attachicon.gifPicture 013.jpg

This is a image of the taillamp being tested.

attachicon.gifPicture 018.jpg

Part of the chassis of the tender was cut away so a ON/OFF switch could be glued into place, the lever just sticking out underneath. The lever was dipped in humbrol matt black paint and then covered in heat-shrink tube so it is not to obvious. The switch will turn off the lights for both the firebox and taillamp.

attachicon.gifPicture 014.jpg

A 3mm hole was then drilled in the firebox and the firebox LED glued into place. It was connected to two male insides of JST connectors which connect to the tender's female JST insides so the loco+tender can be two separate units. A driver was then added for extra detail and also to disguise the firebox LED a little.

attachicon.gifPicture 028.jpg

Image of the final working model with flickering flame inside the firebox and a working taillamp.

Hope this is of some interest :)

Thanks, J.

Good effort, keep em coming.

Hi, from someone into the 9F's - very well done, it nice to see someone breathing new life into older locos especially like this and even more so seeing your efforts on here to pass on the innovative ideas for everyone benefit. 

May offer just one little tip that might help you in future - when painting the led to prevent stray light use matt black paint as its far more effective and will need far few coats.

One again very well done,

Robbie

Archived