Zimo speed step controlled functions

Shropshire Lad

You should really think in terms of "functions" and "outputs". Functions are internal to the decoder and are turned on and off from the throttle.Outputs are the physical output connections of the decoder.

You can map one or more functions to one or more outputs.

For example, F0(f) is the direction dependent function that is on when the loco is going forward and F0 is turned on. Similarly F0® is on when the loco is in reverse with F0 on.

F0(f) and F0® are normally mapped to the outputs for the directional headlights.

You can map F0(f) to another output instead of or in addition to the lights to have the output switch on when the loco is moving forwards. The NMRA standard has only one such direction dependent pair, so you cannot have completely independent control of your output and directional lighting.

For your particular decoder, see section 5.14 of the manual http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-GrosseDecoder_E.pdf This decoder allows more direction dependent functions in addition to F0.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

I'm fitting the decoder to an LGB track cleaning loco Paul. The plan is to use a bridge rectifier to run the cleaning motor from the track supply and switch it with a relay via a function output. The cleaning motor can't run when the loco is stationary or it'll grind dips in the track!

Colin

Colin,

Could you not run the motor direct from a function output? With a 695 you have up to 2A available for any Function Output, why drive via a bridge rectifier? Just seems an added complication.

Nevertheless, that makes no difference to my suggestion which will give an 'on' signal to the relay if you really need to, but you could use my suggestion to vary the speed of the cleaning motor.......

What about this.

Choose a Function Output to connect the motor (or relay). As an example, say FO1.

Set that FO to control a smoke generator in the forward direction only

CV127 = 73

Then set the 'smoke rate' at zero when 'stationary'

CV137 = 0

And at cruise and acceleration, maximum (or some other figure to change motor speed!!!!).

CV138 = 255
CV139 = 255.

Alternatively,

Use the (smoke generator) Fan control for the same effect. But don't use the 5v fan output, map to FO1 (for example)

CV351 = X (where X is a value in the range 1 - 255).

Let me know if either these work for you.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Paul

Many thanks for your clear explanation of my options.I was advised to use a relay for the cleaning motor but I can't see it using more than 2 amps and with the lighting being the only other thing connected to the outputs a direct connection looks good.

I'll double check the current used by the cleaning motor then if possible connect it directly to the decoder. This would also allow me to 'soft start' the motor.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Colin

• RMweb Premium

I hooked up the cleaning motor today and it runs very well connected as per a non fan smoke generator. I've ordered some leds to upgrade the lighting so hopefully I'll get the decoder installed and weather permitting tested in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help Paul

Cheers Colin

I hooked up the cleaning motor today and it runs very well connected as per a non fan smoke generator. I've ordered some leds to upgrade the lighting so hopefully I'll get the decoder installed and weather permitting tested in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help Paul

Cheers Colin

Colin,

Happy to help and pleased it worked out for you.

As a matter of interest, where did you get your MX649 and what sound project is loaded?

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived