TRAX 1 & 2 - Wiring the Layout & Track Construction Software

Jaggzuk

Trax 1 & 2 Software User Poll  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of user are you

• I use the Trax 1 program - Wiring the Layout.
    • I use the Trax 2 program - Track Consruction.
    • I use both Trax 1 & 2 programs.
    • I have seen the program/s but not used them.
    • I have the book/s but not used the software.
    • I have never heard of them.

Hi

I have been using the Trax 2 - Track Construction software program to design the track for a layout that I am planning and I was wondering how many other members of RMWeb are fellow users? See Trax 2 if you do not know anything about it.

Please complete the poll to let me know.

I am planning to start up a dedicated User Help/Discussion thread for the Trax Programs, so watch this space...

Paul

Can we have an option - tried it but not impressed?

[Ed]

I guess I should clarify /expand that statement ;) It did only apply to Trax1 which I thought added little to the freebies that regularly come out with the modelling magazines and were about as "light".

But I guess like a lot of "how to" pamphlets it all depends on what base you start from.

Why not just start a Trax thread anyway? I'm not sure it needs a poll to justify it. If no one is interested in the topic then it will just get lost in the jungle of other topics. It might however be a help to others to see some input from its devotees.

I think quite a while back maybe RMWeb2 a similar topic was started for XtrkCAD (a bit different I know) but it sort of died out with lack of interest.

Though we continually see questions and answers on XtrkCAD over time - I do not recall seeing any about Trax1 ... that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any ... just ... you would have thought ...

• RMweb Premium

I've recently started to use the Trax2 program for creating track templates though haven't really seen the end results yet. It is limited in some respects but in others very useful. Not the easiest of user interfaces.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I use the Trax 2 program lots, both for layout design and the track template function. I realise that it isn't the full bells and whistles that Templot is, but I've found it adequate for my needs and very easy to use. It's formed the first stage of all my recent layout design features in RM, though there is much overdrawing with other software to get the finished item the basic geometry is Trax. I've also used it to generate point and crossing templates during the brief spell when I built PCB track to order.

• RMweb Gold
I am planning to start up a dedicated User Help/Discussion thread for the Trax Programs, so watch this space...

Hi Paul,

There is a Yahoo group for Trax users at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/traxusers/

I wrote a review of Trax2 at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/templot/message/3223

That was over 6 years ago, so it may be somewhat out of date now. Also the link there is out of date since Kestrel took over.

regards,

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently started planning a layout properly after (too!) many years of thinking and doodling. So far I have used Trax 2 to make a fairly simple plan of the complete layout to make sure everything fits. I have found it very useful for this and not too difficult to get the hang of - in particular, it avoids the problem of making sketches and then finding that some of the curves are much too sharp.

I am planning to use Templot to make detailed templates once I have finalised the general plan, although so far I am finding it very difficult to get my head around how Templot works - even the 'Utterly Baffled' section leaves me, well, baffled. If anybody knows of a simple guide I would be hugely grateful.

Rod Smith

• RMweb Gold

Rod.

I have been using trax in verison 2 and 3 forms for a while now and also Templot. My weapon of preference is Templot. Templot Is not as difficult as you think, however you need to understand properly some of the fundamentals. I will attempt to explain as I see it. Martin Wynne

will almost certainly give you a better explanation if you ask him.

1. Each template is a unique entity and is not joined to any other template as is the case with trax and XTrackcad.

2. Each template has a datum feature called the peg. This can be equated to a pin that attaches the template to the background or

baseboard. Depending on the template used, point or plain track, the datum peg can be positioned in a variety of positions on the

template. The template may then be rotated or translated relative to that datum.

3. The 'notch' feature can be considered to be a hole in the basebaord or background. This hole or notch of which there is only

one can be positioned at will either on the 'peg' (our datum point) of a template or at an x,y co-oridinate and angle on the background.

Work your way through the tutorials but dont just do them. spend the time to try and understand what is actually happening. I do not know all of it and am always finding out something new (half the fun). However I now have got the stage where I am quicker on Templot than trax. Templot is also a lot better when it comes to getting hard copy plans particularly full size track plans.

Following two images show the same layout in Trax and Templot.

first trax

post-1359-1265326264653_thumb.jpg

then Templot

post-1359-12653255891086_thumb.jpg

Note the additional back ground data which was imported as a background dxf file from CAD softwarec(CATIA in this case).

Hope this helps

Dave

Archived