Fox-walker 0-6-0T - vital statistics question

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

A recent magazine shows a nice side-on view of one of the 0-6-0ts that, I read somewhere else, was converted from a saddle-tank.  Can anyone tell be how big it was?  Just looking for basics such as length, wheelbase, and wheel size.

Many thanks for any help with this.

Regards,

Alex.

One of the Fox Walker saddle tanks, No 8, was converted to a side tank in December 1889. I assume it retained the same wheelbase (7'3" + 7'9") as the original, but the wheels were increased from 4' to 4'6". There were a number of other changes, including a higher boiler pitch, but I don't have any other diimensions to hand.

Later, in 1908, it was converted to a tender loco. Rather strange as No 1, which had been converted to tender form in 1888 was restored to the later saddle tank form at about the same time.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that.  It's No. 8 that I have the photo of.  I did read elsewhere about the conversion of one to a tender loco and back again; I wonder what they were thinking with this loco.

The pic is square in so your dimensions will give me a better idea of the other sizes.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Regards,

Alex.

Archived