Class 66 rtr in 3mm scale?

Red Devil

Just received an email from 3 SMR, probably as I occasionally buy from motorbogies.com. Not really my sphere of interest but thought it might be of interest to some.

quick c&p

Class 66 New TT model coming soon

Pre order your Class 66 Now

Now that Class 66 locos are working on the British System in the DB livery, you will be able to create work trains as photographed on the London / Brighton line at Redhill last week.

3mm Scale Model Railways will be placing an advance order for a batch of these ready to run models next week. So please get your name down now for this exciting new release in DB Red livery, or Green for easily adapting to Freightliner livery.

Price expected to be around £185. Prices are likely to increase after this initial batch is imported, so get in quick to have the very latest traction running on your layout.

To confirm your interest in a DB Red or Green Livery Class 66, simply reply to this email.

ive long thought 3mm rtr would be a winner for UK modellers even at this late stage of the game as most models are now being covere din N and 00.  we would start with correct gauge trackwork and you have the super detail you get on 00 with the layout space advantage of N (almost).

i would support this model if I was into class 66s but sadly im not........

Interesting.

I agree, there is a gap in the market. Model railways require space, and I think there is potential to grow a mass market.

Modern outline vehicles are often a foot long in OO and curves are a problem. N is too small for many, so TT at European scale using Peco 12mm track would give more space and still be large enough to be satisfying.

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree.

Everything to like about 1:120 scale on 12mm track. Layout takes up less than half the area of 1:76 but significantly more volume than 1:148/1:160 which I struggle to work with. And of course, like HO and N (1:160) a proper track gauge that scales out to 1440mm. Easy maths too, 1/10 inch = 1ft, for those who still work in old money.

I wonder if the existence of this Class 66 will lead to a few UK prototype layouts at 1:120. There must be some suitable existing mechanisms out there to put under resin bodies.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.

I agree, there is a gap in the market. Model railways require space, and I think there is potential to grow a mass market.

Modern outline vehicles are often a foot long in OO and curves are a problem. N is too small for many, so TT at European scale using Peco 12mm track would give more space and still be large enough to be satisfying.

Much as I like the Peco 12mm track, I'm not convinced that it would look the part on a 1:120 layout.

Much as I like the Peco 12mm track, I'm not convinced that it would look the part on a 1:120 layout.

I totally agree.  It's set up to be H0 scale narrow gauge.  While there's nothing UK looking in the 1:120 market, my preference of track based on appearance would be TT Filigran>Kuehn>Tillig, though Tillig have the widest range.  I happily use Peco H0m track in offscene areas though.

Archived