what track do you use? (HO scale)

bluedepot

Hi everyone,

I just wondered if people here mostly use Peco Code 75 track or something else?  

I am currently considering either Peco Code 75 or Tillig Elite.   any other makes of track I should consider? 

I am planning to build a small HO layout, it will be DCC, era not very specific, anything from 1980s - present

Cheers,

Tim

I've seen Roco used for a French layout, very nice.  The guy used the 10 degree turnouts.  They are a bit long, but they look quite smart.  The track is available from Conrad http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/214511/Roco-42488-H0?ref=list

I am using up some of the 15 degree turnouts.  I wish I had the longer ones, but there you go.

• RMweb Premium

Peco code 100 - I still have quite a number of items with pizza cutter wheels.  They will gradually be updated but by the time I have finished, I doubt how many more layouts I will be building.

For the finer flanged items I have a small layout with code 80 scratch built track.

• RMweb Gold

I think that Peco Code 75 has a lot to recommend it in terms of appearance for a modern era French HO layout and works well with Roco etc.

If you are modelling a really rural setting and have only stock with modern wheel standards, worth taking a look at Code 70 Shinohara (www.scalelink.co.uk).

There are still some regions in France with bullhead rail on branch lines. That takes rather a lot of work, cutting down SMP sleepers to correct dimensions.

cheers for replies

i'll take a look at shinohara and roco track as well, but I think probably i'll go with peco code 75, it seems to be most easily available here. 

how easy is it to join together roco / shinohara / tillig with peco track?

thanks

tim

• RMweb Premium

The OH has an HOe/HO layout and we joined Tillig dual gauge track to Peco.  It is currently crated so I cannot go and check but I do not remember it being a big issue to join the tracks together.    I probably made a simple butt solder joint between the two makes. 

Hallo,

I'm using Peco code 75, with some Tillig code 83 dual-gauge (metre/standard) track. On the next layout project, I'll probably modify the Peco turnouts, though, to remove the rather unsightly locking system which looks totally non-French. This is an approach favoured by many modellers here in France (take a look at the Loco-Revue forum).

If you are keen for the real protoype turnout look and have the space (to accommodate the large radiuses), time (to assemble) and deep enough pockets, take a look at the very fine turnouts produced by the Swiss artisan Apogee Vapeur   www.apogee-vapeur.ch  (go to "Collection VMM" in the menu on the left of the homepage).

Very best

141 C 78

Archived