Minitrix Brittania - lights are on, but no one's home!

Black Sheep

I bought a trix brittania with a view to using it as a donor chassis and at the time of purchase it did run ok, not great, but ok.

Cleaned the wheels a bit and it became acceptable and then it was packed away while the layout was under construction and then for a few house moves and pulled out of storage to find it a non-runner yet the lights work fine (if intermittently)

Trying to get it running well so I can sell it on with clear conscience as I don't want to sell on a duff loco.

I've given a rub of track-magic over the contacts in the motor to get rid of some of the carbon deposits, a spot of lubricant on the gears and track-magic on the wheels and I managed to get a lap of the coffee table out of it before it stopped again.

Any ideas what it needs? I'm half guessing which wheels are pick-ups which perhaps isn't helping.

Just had the loco apart again and decided to remove the motor from it's mount, sit the loco on the track and see if I can get the motor to run, try and isolate a motor / motion issue.

It ran after a bit of a sparky start in which it struggled to get going, then stopped working completely until putting the motor back in to clear up for the night (the dining table is my workbench at the moment) and I noticed the wire wasn't where it had been.

So a loose wire to the motor would explain most of the issues I've been having, just need to find my soldering iron to get it sorted!

• 1 month later...

The version of Britannia that you have, may help to identify other possible issues.

Early versions have small, solid wheels on the front bogies, and a metal crankpin on the drive wheel

Later versions have larger spoked wheels and a grey plastic crank pin.

Later versions seem to have the same chassis and gearing as the Minitrix Scotsman and the Mallard

Earlier versions have a slightly different (lower) gearing, and a similar chassis.

It was normal for the earlier minitrix to use the chassis as an earth contact.  It was also usual for the spray paint to be applied where a good electrical contact for earth was required !   Later models have the earth (negative / left side) wired to the motor.

There may be some useful information on my website here.  The Britannia link also links into the Mallard pages, as much of the info is identical.

http://www.jfheath.co.uk/ngauge

Archived