Minature Wunderland Hamburg

jazz

Hi all.  Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here goes.  I am planning a trip to Minature Wunderland, Hamburg.   Before I start extensive research for flights, hotels etc. Has anyone here done this trip and if so any tips, hotels or even organised trips there.

We are looking for a budget hotel within walking distance to Wunderland. Thanks in advance for replies.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't worry about being able to walk to MW as Hamburg has a good transport network - S-bahn and U-bahn.

MW is great fun.  It does get busy at times - we went mid-week in late January and it was still pretty busy so you might want to consider pre-booking depending on when you go.

The Hamburg museum is worth a visit too.

If I went back I'd like to go on a boat tour.

Cheers, Mike

Hi all.  Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here goes.  I am planning a trip to Minature Wunderland, Hamburg.   Before I start extensive research for flights, hotels etc. Has anyone here done this trip and if so any tips, hotels or even organised trips there.

We are looking for a budget hotel within walking distance to Wunderland. Thanks in advance for replies.

I went on a day trip in May 2013. easyJet from Gatwick [£54 return] got me to Hamburg at 09:30, then S-Bahn/U-Bahn to MW at about 10:30; flight back mid-evening. Didn't pre-book but walked straight up to the cash desk. Gave me plenty of time including a break for a very reasonably priced lunch. Total cost for the whole day including parking at Gatwick was about £80, although we were a party of 5 which helped. Might not be so easy from North Wales.

I will certainly go again but probably when the UK section opens so that will be three or four years.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Martin

I went two years ago, the place is great! It's actually been extended onto another floor since I was there! There's some offers on the right hand side of this page which include entry and a hotel...

For extra cost, they can also organise "behind-the-scenes" tours for groups up to six people - which I think would be really interesting. I would love to go back in a year or two when some of the new sections have opened...

Thanks for your speedy replies guys.  My wife & I are intending to go in May flying out of Manchester.   Just researching some hotels either at the Hamburg airport of in the old town near the WM & museum.

I've been a couple of times, normally tying it in with the Bremen Freimarkt (Bremen being about an hour away on the train and you get get a Niedersachsen pass that covers you for public transport for about 22Euros for upto 4 people).

EasyJet do M/cr Hamburg and RyanAir do M/cr Bremen, daft as it is it may be cheaper doing via Bremen, might not, depends what you can get price wise or you could do both....Becks Brewery tour in Bremen, Reeperbahn in Hamburg, decisions decisions!

Well worth it, as others have said might be worth pre booking, first time I went just walked straight in, second time had to book for a couple of hours later, both in November which may be a bit quieter than May.

Don't bother about walking distance, just use public transport, it's cheap and convenient, pretty much all the tourist sights in Hamburg are within walking distance of something.

U Boat tour is ok to, but it's a Russian Tango class from the 70s rather than a 'real' U Boat.

Metronom do the Hamburg to Bremen service, they're pretty regular 2/3 an hour, Bremen Airport is served by a tram right from the Station, so it's possible to fly in and out of both airports, done that once no problems.

• RMweb Premium

Just a few words of warning about May - lots of public holidays, so places will be busy and hotels could fill up early.

May 1st - Mayday - Wednesday - so many will take the whole week off

May 9th - Ascension - Thursday - most will take the Friday as Bruckentag - bridge day.

May 20th - Whitmonday - Monday

May 30th - Corpus Christi - Thursday - so again Friday will be Bruckentag - not celebrated in Hamburg itself IIRC - but it could still lead to a lot of visitors coming to the city.

Week 3- May 13th to 19th - looks good though - enjoy

• RMweb Premium

Just a few words of warning about May - lots of public holidays, so places will be busy and hotels could fill up early.

May 1st - Mayday - Wednesday - so many will take the whole week off

May 9th - Ascension - Thursday - most will take the Friday as Bruckentag - bridge day.

May 20th - Whitmonday - Monday

May 30th - Corpus Christi - Thursday - so again Friday will be Bruckentag - not celebrated in Hamburg itself IIRC - but it could still lead to a lot of visitors coming to the city.

Week 3- May 13th to 19th - looks good though - enjoy

Forget that - I was looking at a 2013 calendar - idiot that I am.

Relevant dates for 2014 are

May 1st - Thursday - so the Friday will be a Bruckentag

May 29th - Thursday - Ascension - ditto

June 9th - Monday - Whitmonday

June 20th - Thursday - Corpus Christi - Friday will be a Bruckentag

• RMweb Gold

Forget that - I was looking at a 2013 calendar - idiot that I am.

Relevant dates for 2014 are

May 1st - Thursday - so the Friday will be a Bruckentag

May 29th - Thursday - Ascension - ditto

June 9th - Monday - Whitmonday

June 20th - Thursday - Corpus Christi - Friday will be a Bruckentag

Not sure about the Catholic parts of Germany (opposite end to Hamburg), but in the UK Corpus Christi is now celebrated on a Sunday rather than the traditional (relatively speaking as it is a modern 20c feast) Thursday.

Hi all.  Just wondering about the purchase of advance tickets I did online.  I was surprised to see they are mailed to you for validation, very antiquated system, I must say.

Anyway.  Did any of you get confirmation of the purchase on email. (No reply to an email I sent them).   Also how long did the ticket/s take to arrive by ordinary mail.

I'm just nervous when you do not get confirmation of purchases (my bank excepted information excepted)

Thanks, Ken 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm visiting this weekend. Tried to pre-book tickets, but just received back a confirmation of the time (between 9 & 10 in the morning) along with a voucher for the tickets, payable at the venue. So they don't seem to charge for the tickets in advance. Anyway, staying at a hotel practically beside the Railway Station. Any idea how far from the Station ? Walking ?

I'm visiting this weekend. Tried to pre-book tickets, but just received back a confirmation of the time (between 9 & 10 in the morning) along with a voucher for the tickets, payable at the venue. So they don't seem to charge for the tickets in advance. Anyway, staying at a hotel practically beside the Railway Station. Any idea how far from the Station ? Walking ?

It is walkable but easier on the U Bahn about 4 stops if memory serves me correctly, think the stop is Baumwall, few minutes walk from there.

Hi DKL & Red Devil. Thanks for the replies.  I had no trouble purchasing the advance tickets online and choosing date & time too.  (We are going this June)

I have booked a hotel opposite the main railway station and it will be an easy walk of under one mile to the Wunderland.  (I have walked the route on google street view have all the revenant landmarks worked out

Really looking forward to the trip now.

It is walkable but easier on the U Bahn about 4 stops if memory serves me correctly, think the stop is Baumwall, few minutes walk from there.

Hi,

Yes, it is a long walk from the central station, take the U-Bahn Line U3 heading towards Schlump and get of at Baumwall as Red Devil pointed out above, it's about a 5 minute walk back towards the City Centre from there (you have to cross the river as well)

Really excellent place, you'll love it!

Simon

Just wanted to post how entertaining I found the exhibition. Wasn't really prepared for the vast area it covers, so I'm now watching and seeing areas on the DVD (well worthwhile €20) that I had missed. For anybody visiting for the first time, I would suggest viewing the many You Tube Videos about the venue, prior to visiting. Also, it's a good idea to make use of their cloakroom, as it get's quite warm with the number of people there, and you don't want to be uncomfortable walking around in your outdoor gear. We spent about 3 hours there last Saturday (again would suggest either early morning or evening). Not sure what the queues would be like during the week. As we were staying very close to the Railway Station, it was only about  a 25 mins walk. All in all a very enjoyable weekend.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI all. Just returned from my trip to Miniature Wunderland (at last). It was a long wait since purchasing the ticket back in January.

But, boy, it was worth the wait.  Flew with Easyjet from Manchester, wonderful flight & service.   The exhibition was mind blowing.  A very easy 20 minute walk from the hotel opposite the Hauptbahnhof.

Will post some photos if anyone wishes to view them.

Archived