Bachmann deltic headcodes

getting to the final stages of changing a Bachmann D9005 to D9000 as it is seen on the mainline just now but I have come to a dead ends, the headcodes. I have seen people change them to the domino style but I am completely stumped on how I would do this. any ideas?

I found it necessary to try and remove the glazed section from the bodyshell and then lightly sand and polish the glazing to remove the printed headcode. There's a very high probability on the way that the glazing cracks!

On the early examples, including I think D9005, the glazing included the raised silver rim, which made straight replacement with a piece of glazing strip not adequate. Fortunately Extreme Etchings (Shawplan) now do an EE headcode box edge which is really beautiful. So if the factory glazing breaks on removal, simply make up a piece of new glazing that fits the space, add your headcode transfers to the back and position in place in the bodyshell, and then secure the EE etch over the top with a smidge of varnish. The etch will cover any slight defects in the edge of your new glazing and the end result is far better than the Bachmann original.

John.

Archived