Charles Covey Models

Southerner

I've been following the long running topic on Kings Cross Model shop with much interest especially regarding the many characters that the hobby seems to throw up.

I wonder if anyone has memories of my local model shop during the early 1970's when I lived in London which was Charles Covey Models on the first floor of a converted house in Queens Road Peckham.

Charles was a great character and went on to run a larger shop in Raynes Park, I'd be interested to find out if he's still around.

Thanks

Doug

Charles retired to the Isle of Wight.  Nick, who took over the shop, used to keep in touch.  After Nick retired, which was the best of twenty years ago, I went to the shop once but never darkened its door again.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

It was a strange location for a shop (although convenient to Queens Road Station). Not 1st floor I think but houses there built with semi-basement lower ground floors so there were quite a few steps up  to the shop.

Charles was always very welcoming.

There was something of a link with Hamblings and they had some stock from Hamblings days.

By an odd coincidence, I know someone who bought the property subsequently.

Thanks to you both for the information; the link to Hamblings might explain some of the varied s/h stock, and I agree it was an odd location, effectively just one of the front rooms of the house.

Charles when I knew him lived in a swish apartment in Lee Green and commuted to the shop in his MG Midget.  I helped in the shop a couple of times whilst he took lunch in the cafe across Queens Road.

Coincidentally Queens Road station is on the South London line is planned to be the subject of my next modelling project - does anyone remember the model shop in the downstairs entrance to the station (also the embedded tram tracks in the side road alongside adjoining the railway arches)?

Doug

Archived