daniel8910

Glad to see your laser cut brick work comes out looking like mine, bit of an odd pattern fortunately it looks better painted.

Yeah it did throw me a bit first time round! I think with the shorter lines the laser spends a fraction longer on the material so you get a slightly deeper cut.  I found using a slower speed balanced it out.  

Edited by alanbuttler

Hi Daniel, I joined a local hackspace in Brighton which has a laser cutter, this one in particular was on a Full Spectrum Engineering 40w Hobby Laser which cost the group about £1000 second hand.  It's cutting bed is about 300x200mm so a little small for what I need, but its been very handy for test cuts and prototyping and the space allows 24hr access!  If you have one nearby, they can be great places to work and share ideas - http://www.hackspace.org.uk/view/Main_Page

Hi Daniel, I joined a local hackspace in Brighton which has a laser cutter, this one in particular was on a Full Spectrum Engineering 40w Hobby Laser which cost the group about £1000 second hand.  It's cutting bed is about 300x200mm so a little small for what I need, but its been very handy for test cuts and prototyping and the space allows 24hr access!  If you have one nearby, they can be great places to work and share ideas - http://www.hackspace.org.uk/view/Main_Page

Goodness me , £1000?!? Bit pricey for me, however if i popped round to my nearby hackspace they might let me join, and gain access to the machinery? I will look into joining my local one, I really enjoy these co-operative schemes, everyone gains from them :) Thanks for the tip, Alan!

Daniel

Goodness me , £1000?!? Bit pricey for me, however if i popped round to my nearby hackspace they might let me join, and gain access to the machinery? I will look into joining my local one, I really enjoy these co-operative schemes, everyone gains from them :) Thanks for the tip, Alan!

Daniel

Yeah that does seem steep, I think it might have come with lots of spares and other bits.  Yep the spaces have definitely helped me, living in a flat without any outside space or working space, its made things much easier having a fully kitted workshop!  For the Brighton space there was a contribution required towards the upkeep/purchase costs of the laser cutter and some manadory training required before using.  They also have a 3D printer which will come in handy, not to mention all the electronics supplies and more importantly knowledge - it was a chap at the hackspace that came up with the concept for my magnetic traverser :) (Still to be proven though!)

• Like 1

' Ultra-mini' update

Nothing much to report as of late, apart from the tedious task of gapping and laying turnout sleepers-all with the use of a rapidly diminishing metal file. Progress has also been made on the templot plan, however this has been more in the way of replacing blatant mistakes and errors that crept into the plan. If anyone has any photographs of the ex GWR goods yard, and its approach, it would be fantastic to see them!

General overview of the crossing that I have been focusing on:

tumblr_n1zehtM27T1tu1l0io2_1280.jpg

Next, a cruel close up of the gapped sleepers:

tumblr_n1zehtM27T1tu1l0io4_1280.jpg

Until next time,

Daniel

• Like 1

Hi Daniel, I've definitely seen some pictures of the GWR station, I'll see if I can remember where.  Also if you are still in need of a track plan, I've just got a copy of 'The Cambrian Mainline' by Derek Lowe and there is a full track plan of Oswestry which looks more in line with the later period

• Like 1

That would be great Alan!! there is a few images of the northern station throat that partially show the goods yard, but a few good shots are definitely needed to be sure of my templot plan. A later period trackplan would be fantastic, as it would clear up the current uncertainties I have about plotting both of the station throats- would it be possible for you to dropbox it to me? :)

Daniel

Hi Daniel, I've been doing a bit more rummaging at the National Archives and have found this in the search: Oswestry: architectural drawings for new station with footbridge drawings

It's dated 1883-1884 and is in the GWR section, so could relate to the GWR station.  When I'm next up there I'll retrieve it and I'll let you know what it is, I'm sure it'll be of interest either way!

Cheers

That sounds great Alan! This project wouldnt have developed half as far it has with your help :) any plan related to oswestry railway area is of interest, as its all going to be modelled, eventually  :ohmyclear:  :unsure_mini:

Managed to develop the templot plan slightly further (which has mainly involved sorting out my own mistakes, doh!! ), as well as the production of 50 cut 'n' gapped sleepers, which are waiting to be glued onto a template. I would reckon its going to be at least a few weeks before much more progress is made due to rising work dedications etc. 

Anyway, here is the updated templot plan- you may notice, that the northern goods yard has been started, all thanks to Alan Buttler's kindly donated plan of Oswestry station.

post-18147-0-34791300-1394646839_thumb.png

• Like 1

Just been browsing the Cambrian Railways facebook group, and i stumbled upon a real gem- Yet another quality contribution from Alan Buttler, its a plan of the station building itself. I am considering methods of construction for the building ( yep, buildings before baseboards, as i currently don't have room to store any huge wooden blocks) I think that i will go for a structure of plasticard, with embossed sheets fixed over it, but if anyone has any alternatives it would be great to hear from them!

post-18147-0-40625100-1395079540.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

danielkettlewick@mail.com

danielkettlewick@mail.com

Ok, its been a while. So, what have i acheived?... very little :(

Having been up to my neck in work, i found very little time recently to press on with trackwork- however when watching the F1 on sunday, i managed to squeeze in enough time- 2 hours - to build a small radius point, without the use of jigs etc. Sadly, tumblr is being a pain in the a***, so when i get that fixed i should be able to upload some pics!!

Daniel8910

• 5 weeks later...

Sad update...

Still very busy with work etc :( I have however, had time to think- although i love Oswestry station to bits, and think its a great prototype (well, in my opinion) it just seems too large, especially for a first project. So with much regret, I am putting the project to one side. I will keep the plans and drawings that Alan kindly shared, so that one day i will be able to finish this off. As a learning project I am aiming for a much more simplified project, hopefully something Cambrian, and something early BR.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and participate on this thread, and i apologise for providing an anticlimax. The thread will be resumed when I recontinue the project.

Daniel8910

Hey daniel, one for the future then :) It is a great project but enormous and I can well understand your decision. I've made a similar one myself with the works (for now!) as my job is eating all my spare time.  

How about somewhere like Llynclys, as a small project it would be interesting with the branch, plus the area is nicely delimited by 3 road bridges, one either side the station and one on the branch :)

post-17930-0-55336600-1398964062.jpg

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 1

Sounds interesting- however the trackplan on the signalling record society was really confusing :( In literary terms, a double track country station, with a medium sized goods shed, and a bay platform. Nothing massive though, just something to tide me over!

• 4 years later...

Hi Daniel

I was searching for something and found your site.

Willit End my 2mm fs layout has auto magnetic coupling for coaches and for 3 link chain on freight stock.  The design and testing was done in 2003 an 4, there is an article of mine somewhere on the cd back issues and if you go to an exhibition that has the Association stand one of the banners has a picture of my 3 link magnetic coupling.

If you would like more info contact me

Regards Stuart Bailey, Darkest Essex, Stour 2mm and wheel elf