Dooslan - BR 1950s OO Gauge

Axel.Richardson

The write ups and pictures are from a existing thread on another forum so may not make some sence.

"Dooslan" is a fictional town station set in the 1950s.

This is the result of spending my hours in work on the Internet looking at layouts and everything related to model railways in particular shelf layouts.

Sooo I got a plan and started constructing it.

Baseboard is made from 12mm ply and will be two boards of 45"x24" with 70mmX18mm for the frame.

As my laptop is dead I couldn't make a layout plan on any rail so had to wing it. Using plans of Internet to give me ideas.

With the board made I decided I wanted code 75 track so got some points and started laying track.

This time I wanted to try a different technique instead of cork and PVA and pins, i opted for copydex and no pins and as it a station/yard no cork.

Some Points and track laid

image_zps961a190c.jpg

image_zps83738799.jpg

Got a couple of points On Order to finish the track but for now I got on with scenery and the messy mod rock.

I've put a small fiddle yard in the corner of the layout this will house one siding and a cassette siding.

Ill have a lid on to that can be removed and there is a access hole from the side.

Backboards are 9mm MDF with hill contours made from shaped ply and foam board

image_zps10c5ae1c.jpg

Because I've not got the time to build scratch built buildings for this layout as well as my main layout I've gone for off the shelf buildings from Hornby always be replaced in future with scratch built ones.

image_zps4fa90f5b.jpg

I also fancied adding a bit more detail so tried some of the wills point rodding and it is quite fiddly but slowly getting there.

image_zpsa7cd187e.jpg

Finished the mod rock around the fiddle yard and tunnel and I'm Very pleased with how it turned out.

image_zps4e85cc2b.jpg

image_zpsec4848a9.jpg

A view towards the tunnel

image_zpscdb1a02a.jpg

Once it all dried I gave it a good covering of brown ready for the scatters etc

image_zps3b0841b4.jpg

I've gone with the plan to make it two boards so I had to have a join.

After lots of research I went with copper boards to secure the ends of rail.

I attached the board with superglue and track pins and soldered it all together

Now I've only just learnt how to solder and It is not neat but I will find a way of covering it up.

Yesterday I started the job of making the board join, I've gone with the plan to make it two boards so I had to have a join.

After lots of research I went with copper boards to secure the ends of rail.

I attached the board with superglue and track pins and soldered it all together

Now I've only just learnt how to solder and It is not neat but I will find a way of covering it up.

image_zps038773ee.jpg

The rest of my order came in the shop today so could make a start on the platforms, also got the rest of the points I needed.

image_zpsed08a0f4.jpg

Need to sort out a platform surface now.

Ok so I've made a cock up :/

I've been wanting to weather my track and have read up on different methods most of witch say to paint track before ballast.

So I looked online and one said use a brown primer to paint all the track and dry brush to highlight.

Last night I got home and masked up

image_zpse32add30.jpg

I also masked up the blades on points after which I went to spray.

Now the colour on the lid is a dark brown matt that in my eye looks ok.

That's not what came out the tin tho

image_zps94f57c17.jpg

I hoped it would dry to the colour on the lid but it hasn't.

So what to do now

I need to find a dark brown to paint on top

Today on the way home from work I stopped in hobby craft to get some paints for weathering, whilst there I found some raw umber brown acrylic spray paint, I also got a set of ten acrylic paints to use also.

I got home and thought I'd go over the red track and see what result I get.

I only sprayed over lightly and there is still some red the shows through.

Just after spraying

image_zps1da00ff8.jpg

I'm very happy with this now and after looking at prototype pics of real track it looks close to me.

I will be dry brushing after ballasting to make the track even more realistic.

Question!

Is rail match sleeper grime ok to use on rail set in the era I'm modelling?

Whilst the paint dried I got down to glueing all the hill with basket liner,

image_zpsf7410779.jpg

It very thick ATM

image_zpsa3b6ca5c.jpg

Once it is all dry I will pull off alot of excess and trim it to taste and then apply scatter.

Looking at other layouts that use it the results are amazing.

Lastnight before bed I thought I'd have a go of ballasting a small bit of track as I'm using a new ballast.

Normally I've used just OO gauge fine ballast from Hornby but this time with the recommendation from my local model shop I tried Gaugemaster ballast.

In my research both from pictures and at

My local line where I counted roughly 14 stones in a line between sleeper if you get what I'm saying.

That means scale size in oo is very small ballast.

I used a 50/50 mix of Fine N gauge and OO fine/medium and to me has given a very close match

image_zps5b6e1f5f.jpg

image_zps54022bc8.jpg

Another picture of the soon to be station.

image_zpsc6b8e9f4.jpg

The glue had dried on the hills so I've been able to trim the grass with hair clippers ready for scatter.

I also sprayed some brown acrylic on the steep bits

image_zps45692af1.jpg

With the brown paint still wet I applied some earth blends of scatter and different colours and sprayed with hairspray.

image_zpsbeca0792.jpg

image_zps1933ac79.jpg

This has given me a good base to add bushes and static grass to, I think it looks quite convincing as rough undergrowth

It so nice to have a day off to spend on the layout.

Lastnight I stuck down some more basket liner around the tunnel and bits I've missed on the hill so this morning it was dry enough to work on.

image_zps7f063a0b.jpg

Then trimmed it using the good old hair clippers and added some scatter to finish it.

image_zps7f063a0b.jpg

Another thing I've done is add some walls to some bits of the layout. Will all need to be painted and weathered to match.

image_zpsc115329f.jpg

image_zps99feca1e.jpg

One thing I've wanted to do is fix my buildings down but still be able to remove them.

Solution, matchsticks glued to baseboard on inside.

image_zpsc24b6ddc.jpg

So the weekend has passed and I've been busy, it not far off now just waiting for a few more buildings.

Meanwhile I've been adding more grass and and foliage and it is looking good I think.

image_zpsa4d65bed.jpg

image_zps56056f06.jpg

image_zpsedfb41f9.jpg

image_zps5af5f96c.jpg

I've been trying to achieve a overgrown railway embankment using horsehair and it looked good but now I've covered it in glue it gone a bit dark

image_zps3c396ae3.jpg

Due to having a day free at home I've done some work on the layout.

Original plan for this section was a timber yard but the building I had was in the way so decided to have a builders yard instead.

image_zps92fa1bda.jpg

I'm happy with the overall look I like but can do with some extra detail.

Anyway some more pictures

image_zps9ec5457d.jpg

image_zpsf0081881.jpg

image_zps266abb04.jpg

image_zps4c04635a.jpg

image_zps51373f35.jpg

image_zpsbb76d814.jpg

image_zpseb1e72bd.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I really like what you've done with the embankment - a massive tangle of plants all overgrown, just like real life, but rarely found to this extent on a model

Even the flat areas of grass have a real hot summer look about them  :)  :)  :)

• 8 months later...

I really like what you've done with the embankment - a massive tangle of plants all overgrown, just like real life, but rarely found to this extent on a model

Even the flat areas of grass have a real hot summer look about them :) :) :)

Thanks hopefully with a bit more work it will look even better

Not sure how I missed this until now.

You've made a great little layout by the looks of it. Can't see any signs of that red paint now .... good save!

Was a bit of a oh no moment but thankfully managed to fix the problem

Looks good-any updates?

Ed

ATM no as I had to put the layout into storage when I started constructing by big one, hopefully when I get round to setting it up somewhere I'll finish it and post updates

After a bit of a dig Friday I pull out the layout from the loft and set about making a home for it somewhere in the house, I settled on the dining room and constructed a frame to mount it on.

It needs a lot of tidying up and the points need motorising but slowly I will finish it. Need to go over a lot of it as my scenic modelling methods have changed.

Here are some pictures of the layout as it sits now I've completed the frame

81071C97-9E3A-46FB-BBA0-52B71AFD56B9_zps

C880CB94-EF0A-4E40-8036-6CD022032215_zps

Archived