Newbie dcc points question

Guest bri.s

Hello and sorry if these questions have been covered before ,

I'm wanting to convert my dc layout to dcc, ive been doing a little research and to be honest I've a fair bit of learning to do .

On my layout I have a double slip and a diamond crossing both are insulfrogs , and I'm wondering would I have to change them to electro frog for dcc to work and I've been reading about hex frog juices and was wondering do they only work on electro frogs or is it possible to use them on insulfrogs for the v rails.

Sorry if these are simple questions but I'm total newbie when it come to dcc .

Thankyou

Brian

Hello and sorry if these questions have been covered before ,

I'm wanting to convert my dc layout to dcc, ive been doing a little research and to be honest I've a fair bit of learning to do .

On my layout I have a double slip and a diamond crossing both are insulfrogs , and I'm wondering would I have to change them to electro frog for dcc to work and I've been reading about hex frog juices and was wondering do they only work on electro frogs or is it possible to use them on insulfrogs for the v rails.

Sorry if these are simple questions but I'm total newbie when it come to dcc .

Thankyou

Brian

You can continue to use your insulfrog points.

You won't regret making the change, just ask all the questions on here like this one. We were all DCC beginners not so many years ago.

Bob

Checkout this website, worth it's weight in gold.

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#Insulated

First area for attention is the wiring. Make sure it is adequate for the size of layout and intended booster, lots of info available on the web. See e.g. http://www.wiringfordcc.com/

You can get away with insulfrog but they may cause problems, depending on the stock you want to run. e.g. old stuff with steamroller wheels may cause shorts, problems with short wheel base locos losing pickup, etc.

If the layout runs OK then you have to consider the disruption in lifting the existing track around the points.

Frog juicers are the pricey band aid to fix the symptoms. OK for fixing existing electrofrog installtions where you do not want to disturb the track, but not applicable to insulfrog.

If you are going to replace with electrofrog then I would fix the underlying causes with "correct" treatment of the frog polarity switching.

Andrew

Thank you for your replys guys. I forgot to mention that I model n gauge and there code 55 does this make any difference .

Thanks a lot

P.s I'll certainly be asking a lot of questions I'm hopeing to get my first loco sound fitted this month .

Thanks a lot (again)

Brian

Archived