Stock database

Vistisen

• RMweb Gold

I have an idea rattling around in my head that I can’t get rid of. I wish there was a website where I could go and search for which locomotives, coaches and other rolling stock are prototypical for a particular line ( station?) at a point in time. Does such a website exist? If not I’ll have to help start one! To fund my addiction to model railways I work as a database administrator, so I know enough about how organize the data. If I were to do it myself I would use Oracle APEX as the technology as I muck about in it for a living. But the front end would be at best ‘functional’, Is anyone with a bit more web frontend experience interested in helping me try to start such a site? I envisage that once the framework is up, that it is a wikki style operation where users enter data which is then verified by other users before being ‘published’.

This is just me sticking a toe in the water, to see if it is possible to get such a resource up and running,

I would be interested in helping with a project like this as it sounds really interesting. I have some experience of developing database driven websites  (using java and postgres) from my university degree in computer science. However, I will not be able to commit much time to  a project like this for a couple of  months  as I am in my final year at uni with a high workload of assignments. 

Archived