P way engineers trains 1975(ish) to 1980

Slightly later than the OP's period, 1985-86, but useful none the less I think...

a tracked 360° excavator, with fresh ballast in Grampus, Dace (1st wagon on left), and something unidentified (2nd wagon from the left), at Rochester:

post-6971-0-55118300-1393015595.jpg

and a yellow thing (ballast cleaner??) in action in Strood, 1985, with more Grampus:

post-6971-0-41766100-1393015601.jpg

post-6971-0-16664700-1393015604.jpg

and from the same job, same day, fresh ballast going on (note the guy peering out from the Seacow platform):

post-6971-0-47031700-1393015860.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 3

Not only that, Paul, but they seem to have got the vacuum-pipes still coupled; almost unheard of on spoil trains.

Oops. From the livery - early BR unpainted! I only quickly looked and hadn't taken in they were still vac fitted (some LMS and BR vac fitted Medfits lost their vacuum brakes later and reverted to ZAO). Admittedly there is some freight stock red remaining on the visible end.

Paul

Oops. From the livery - early BR unpainted! I only quickly looked and hadn't taken in they were still vac fitted (some LMS and BR vac fitted Medfits lost their vacuum brakes later and reverted to ZAO). Admittedly there is some freight stock red remaining on the visible end.

Paul

That's not early BR unpainted, that's late BR 'Can't be a***d to paint it' livery.. Mind you, they did a tidy job on the lettering and numbers.

Well, the question I asked has turned up a lot of interesting answers and I would like to say thanks to everyone who has replied so far. After looking through various photo threads, would the 13ton sand wagon, as the kit made by red panda be used as spoil or was they reserved for sand.

My spoil train is looking like ex shock opens and lowfits, with some grampus mixed in.

The fresh ballast would be a mix of catfish and dogfish. A question regarding the slag extension on the dogfish, we're these just plain steel extensions just fitted to the top, or we're there reenforcing pieces added? Just thinking of making one for my rake.

• Like 1

Well, the question I asked has turned up a lot of interesting answers and I would like to say thanks to everyone who has replied so far. After looking through various photo threads, would the 13ton sand wagon, as the kit made by red panda be used as spoil or was they reserved for sand.

I would agree with Brian that the 13t sand wagons were not usually used for spoil, the method of unloading, on the WR at least, required a side door to be dropped.

Have a look at Paul Bartletts site, and look at photos when they were turned over to departmental use and reclassified TOPS code ZCV or ZCO.

A lot of them are renumbered KDB74xxxx for S&T use based at Reading Signal Works.

I also noted a number of them stencilled for 'Taunton Concrete Works' presumably for conveying sand or gravel to the works to make the concrete,

or possibly for conveying products from the works,

cheers

Have a look at Paul Bartletts site, and look at photos when they were turned over to departmental use and reclassified TOPS code ZCV or ZCO.

A lot of them are renumbered KDB74xxxx for S&T use based at Reading Signal Works.

I also noted a number of them stencilled for 'Taunton Concrete Works' presumably for conveying sand or gravel to the works to make the concrete,

or possibly for conveying products from the works,

cheers

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsand

This one had been transferred to engineers use sometime before May 1967 from the state of the lettering! No sign that their use was anything special - such as for S&T

Paul

My spoil train is looking like ex shock opens and lowfits, with some grampus mixed in.

I have just turned up another of my photos with an engineers train

post-7081-0-90958200-1393340011_thumb.jpg

25110 shunts a mixture of medfits and highfits at Banbury, 28/3/80

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...