Ascot North

bigdaveadams1

Hi Dave

Nice looking plan and good to see your work.

Hope to catch more of this mate

Hi Mr Mason,

Yeah the plan would either use a traverser fiddle yard or cassettes. Allowing the run round to take place off scene. It would be DCC and all locos fitted with sound. Eventually the units will also be fitted with sound.

Cheers

Dave

Sounds great. excuse the pun.

I used cassettes for my last show layout Werrington road and they worked really well with the fiddle yards at each end it was really easy.

They are alot easier to install than a traverser too.

Ha ha ha,

yeah I like cassettes, the only snag is that when running round a train the sound will die when moving from one line to another in the fiddle yard. Although using Croc clips on extended leads could work around this problem.....

cheers

• 6 months later...

Well things haven't progressed. I've no longer got room at home for a layout.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm going to help my best mate build an NSE terminus. It will be named Custard Park and I've attached the track plan. When I've got more time, I'll explain why there is a station there.

• 1 month later...

Ascot North is on the back burner until I have a bigger house. But it will be built at somepoint!

However, a recent conversation at our local club, highlighted the lack of a small 3rd rail layout that could be exhibited at small shows and our own show.

So, with that in mind, I present Slough Road Junction!

The scenic board is 5ft x 1ft and will have cassette fiddle yards at each end. Slough Road was the junction for Custard Park, and as such sees EPBs on the VIrginia Water - Custard services. The Cricklewood - Ascot North services are in the hands of First Generation DMUs. The Redhill - Bedford Parcels doesn't stop but does pass through, along with the some trip freights and light engine movements. There is also the Wernham Hogg Paper DIstribution Centre. This being served by a twice weekly speedlink trip from Willesden Brent. There are also occasional engineers trains diverted from the NLL, a regular being the 7L07 Hoo Junction - Leyton, which tends to produce a 33 or a pair of 73s.

The layout will be DCC and built using PECO Code 75.

post-16804-0-50241900-1425548702_thumb.jpg

Wgat a great looking plan, simple yet very smartly done i like the industrial area at the front and the run from end to end

Reall good mate and look forward to seeing it put together.

I have to admit I quite like it! I had tried to fit too much onto the small board, it looked too crowded and contrived. Then I thought, what would Futers do?!!! So it was to be a maximum of 3 points and no more. I've also borrowed the scenic break idea from Bedlam Heath, at the Ascot end of the layout, there will be no bridge, tunnel etc. instead just a few trees to mask the trains entering. The Fiddle yard at that end will be hidden behind a layout history and timetable information board.

Its worked well mate, i try to work to that basis on most of my own small layouts.

I did a similair exit/entrance hide with Werrington Road.

Trees one end and a pipe gantry the other, worked pretty well.

post-6696-0-33779300-1425556203_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-85431800-1425556209.jpg

I knew I'd seen it somewhere else! It was on Werrington Road. Brilliant use of trees and different to the usual tunnel/bridges etc.

Brilliant work!

Thanks Mate, I used the building and a gantry pipe on Eddington as well :) its sometimes hard to justify a bridge/tunnel structure

• 2 months later...

Archived