L & Y 2-4-2 T etch

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Here are some pics showing progress in building a Lancs and Yorks 2-4-2 T from test etch #2.

post-12813-0-28475300-1392677162_thumb.jpg

This shows the frames assembled and one of the radial trucks in a frame assembly jig ready for soldering together.

post-12813-0-11638400-1392677181_thumb.jpg

Chassis now has radial truck guides (or legs) bent into position.

post-12813-0-93892500-1392677208.jpg

And the completed radial trucks.

Where's the delete button ???????????????????? Oops!!!!! See other version for pics.

Nig H

Here are some pics showing progress in building a Lancs and Yorks 2-4-2 T from test etch #2.

attachicon.gifL & Y 2-4-2 T chassis #3.jpg

This shows the frames assembled and one of the radial trucks in a frame assembly jig ready for soldering together.

attachicon.gifL & Y 2-4-2 T chassis.jpg

Chassis now has radial truck guides (or legs) bent into position.

attachicon.gifL & Y 2-4-2 T radial trucks.jpg

And the completed radial trucks.

Where's the delete button ???????????????????? Oops!!!!! See other version for pics.

Nig H

I don't see any other version? Try going back in and editing the post. Failing that report it for deletion and start over! I don't think you can delete the first post of a topic once it has replies.

• RMweb Premium

I don't see any other version? Try going back in and editing the post. Failing that report it for deletion and start over! I don't think you can delete the first post of a topic once it has replies.

I think the duplicate has been removed- thanks somone. I had real fun and games trying to edit one version, then the other, then back and forward again, but I think its now sorted and the pics re-instated (fingers crossed). This will teach me to be more careful in future, and sorry for messing people about.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Things seem to have returned to normal so here are a few more pics.

Here's a shot of the boiler overlay being rolled -sort of, between two brass tubes. I choose one diameter small enough to roll the etch so its a springy fit round the boiler brass tube. I think some people anneal the overlay but I have never tried this.

post-12813-0-01145300-1392721156_thumb.jpg.

post-12813-0-68666400-1392721361.jpg

post-12813-0-36335000-1392721385_thumb.jpg

These two show the boiler attached to the firebox. You can just see an extension to the tube inside the firebox. This fits inside the aperture you can se in the firebox, first picture. A bit of fettling needed to get a good fit, but alignment marks on the firebox front and the rear of the boiler overlay help here.  

post-12813-0-79635000-1392721431_thumb.jpg

Little pegs hold the bunker rear overlay while it is soldered in place.

post-12813-0-14706500-1392721466_thumb.jpg

The tanks and bunker now soldered in place. Also the beading, valances and buffer beams. It was a relief to get the valances on as they supprt the footplate either side of the cab door opening, otherwise its easy to ben the footplate.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel is this kit going to be available to buy

Regards

John

Hello John,

Yes. All sorts of problems arising but gradually being dealt with for correction on the production version.

Nig H

All sorts of problems arising but gradually being dealt with for correction on the production version.

Nig H

You could just not correct them and tell everyone on how to modify the etches to get over the problems (and charge people 3x the price)...

Missy :P

• RMweb Premium

You could just not correct them and tell everyone on how to modify the etches to get over the problems (and charge people 3x the price)...

Missy :P

Hi Julia,

Yes, I could but I think I would have a lot of extremely disgruntled customers.

I don't think I have ever built a loco with so many critical dimensions. I  have just been battling away to get the chassis running round curves with the radial trucks trapped in their housings with wires soldered across the pairs of 'legs' that the radial truck slides between. Here are a couple of pics of the almost finished chassis.

post-12813-0-15359900-1392905992_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-32009300-1392906007_thumb.jpg

I am not looking forward to explaining in the instructions all the tweaks that are needed to get the chassis running well.

Nig H

Hello John,

Yes. All sorts of problems arising but gradually being dealt with for correction on the production version.

Nig H

Hi Nigel

Have you compared notes with Geoff Jones.  I believe he made one earlier!

Has anyone else become stressed out with TalkTalk. Their baby wizzkids seem to have been playing about with the home page/desktop design (again) and I've lost my favorites bar and everything I had in it. All my modelling references gone!!

If there's a TalkTalk shop in town they'd better watch out for me 'cos I'm fuming!

Andrew.

[...]

Has anyone else become stressed out with TalkTalk. Their baby wizzkids seem to have been playing about with the home page/desktop design (again) and I've lost my favorites bar and everything I had in it. All my modelling references gone!!

If there's a TalkTalk shop in town they'd better watch out for me 'cos I'm fuming!

Andrew.

Hello Andrew,

For Google Chrome try this: Recover deleted bookmarks in Google chrome.

as anyone else become stressed out with TalkTalk. Their baby wizzkids seem to have been playing about with the home page/desktop design (again) and I've lost my favorites bar and everything I had in it. All my modelling references gone!!

Not sure what you are getiing at, but if you are using a browser provided by TalkTalk just download a copy of firefox and use that instead. Your browser and settings are not controlled by your ISP. I am writing this whilst connected via TalkTalk.

Andrew C

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just returned to working on this loco. I wasn't looking forward to it, but I'd have to do the smokebox saddle eventually. I decided to fill the inside of the folded up saddle with Milliput, which was left to harden , then filed to the contours of the front and rear. I then bent the saddle sides as close to profile as possible. Keeping this piece against the main saddle assembly prior to soldering in place was really tricky. Then it occurred to me to hold a side in place with Blu-tack, and this made lining it up much easier. Then, a quick dab with the soldering iron, check its still in place and repeat for the other end. Now that the side was secure, I pressed down along the curved section with a cocktail stick and finished off the soldering. To my surprise, it worked well. All that was left was to clean the join up and file the protruding part of the side flush with the main saddle, then repeat the process for the other side.

post-12813-0-92800100-1396108908.jpg

post-12813-0-09203000-1396108918_thumb.jpg

Nig H

Archived