Edgehill Terraces

alderson.eric.j

Hi there,

In this topic, I'll show you the evolution of the work on my new "Edgehill Terraces" diorama. It's a stretch of single track line between two street bridges, and with a row of terraces houses backs lining up the bank between the bridges. At the left end of the diorama, we'll have a small 20 cm element evocating the end of the station. I plan on creating a small station scene diorama to add to it later, and it'll be shown at my club's exhibition in November to showcase my 1980's era trains.

Also, even if I'm a huge GWR fan, I choose this subject because of the first trip I made in the UK by train in 1985. I came that year for a Language immersion camp in North Wales, and arrived by train from Belgium via Dover, to London Victoria, then from London Euston directly to Liverpool Lime Street. It's a bit of nostalgia for that era when you could still have seen BR locomotives in the blue and yellow paint scheme, even if it was the beginning of the "grey" era. I remember well I first took a CP 411 from Dover to London (in blue and grey), and later took the HST from Euston to Liverpool (it was the first time I rode a train at more than 120 kilometers per hour... that was exhilarating, and it somewhat prepared me for the rides I would take later in the Thalys and Eurostar HST to go down to France (Paris and Vendôme) and later back to London.

The basic structure is built from 21 x 15 cm cardboard, 1 mm thick. The base is made of three sheets of this material glued together to create a sturdy yet flexible 3 mm card base. I then made the walls bases from the same material, but two sheets only glued together (2 mm thick). It'll be the base supporting the Wills walls and bridges. The streets will be made of Depron insulation foam sheet carved to represent paved streets and walkways, and along the wall between the two bridges I'll make low-relief terraces with small gardens. Those will  first be made out of Metcalfe card as "stand-ups" before I progressively build the final ones out of hand carved Foamex boards.

Here is a picture of the cardboard diorama base. More pictures and informations will follow soon.

post-18935-0-08925200-1392715139_thumb.jpg

Eric.

Well, just a little side note to tell you how the diorama project is going.

As for now, I'm researching mainly about terrace houses the style you'd find around Liverpool along the line to Manchester... But yet all I find is contemporary era houses, nothing looking like terrace houses in brick or stone from the 50's...

Does anyone know where I could find some pictures of the houses around Edge Hill station (and along the "terrace Hill Cut" in the 50's or 60's ? That would help me a lot to design my own version of those houses...

Eric.

Archived