Elbowend Junction - Nethertown

AngusDe

All,

Elsewhere on RMweb I started a wee thread on a small branch line in Dunfermline, Fife which it seems has a fascinating history.

The more I've read up on it, the more I feel it would make a fascinating layout set in the 30s/40s/50s, and with a idle afternoon I've sketched out a idea for daughter #2s bedroom in N gauge!

post-392-0-92732200-1392749046_thumb.jpg

Elbowend Junction was/is mostly on a embankment, and is unusual (to me) of consisting of two scissor crossovers and nothing else, with the 2 single lines to the west proceeding as double track for a short distance before diverging.

Nethertown was a very small goods yard, with its origins in the 1830s and 4' gauge horse drawn wagon-ways, but eventually became a standard gauge branch.. The passing/run round loop became a siding by the 1920s so strictly speaking I've expanded slightly on the prototype with that extra point. The sharp right angle curve is prototypical and restricted the branch to 4 wheel locos but in reality it curved right rather than left, but otherwise I think the plan captures the flavour of what I think the prototype offers.

The prototype services were mostly coal, with some local passenger services, but I think there is plenty of scope for #cough# diversions. I also think even in N there is a reasonable selection of locos likely to have been seen on the line available RTR. The only big problem is a suitable 4 wheel pug for the branch goods. I can't help thinking it would be fun to potter about shunting the branch with loaded coals going one way and empties the other on the mainline. I can also see variations of the basic idea making a fascinating club/exhibition layout in any gauge.

Anyway I hope this idle sketch of a pipe dream is of interest or inspiration to someone.

​Now, if only, the granddaughter wasn't staying in that room 3 nights out of 5......

Angus

Archived