XPS Foam as Underlay

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

I have been laying an engineered timber floor at work (about 35m2 done so far with another 50m2 to do).

It comes with underlay sheets of XPS foam measuring 1000mm x 600mm x 5mm deep. That seems ideal as a material to use as a track underlay, both resilient and sound absorbing.

I can see plenty of references on the forum to using thicker sheets of XPS as a base for scenery but not to using it in place of cork as an underlay. Has anyone tried it? In particular, is it safe with all types of adhesive and paints?

I have been laying an engineered timber floor at work (about 35m2 done so far with another 50m2 to do).

It comes with underlay sheets of XPS foam measuring 1000mm x 600mm x 5mm deep. That seems ideal as a material to use as a track underlay, both resilient and sound absorbing.

I can see plenty of references on the forum to using thicker sheets of XPS as a base for scenery but not to using it in place of cork as an underlay. Has anyone tried it? In particular, is it safe with all types of adhesive and paints?

Joseph,

I too ended up with over-lengths of that floor underlay foam and in a mad fit of enthusiasm undid all of the laid track and fitted it all over the layout, don't know what effect adhesives or paints will have on it as I pinned all of my track down. 

It does reduce the noise level somewhat but from my experience not totally, you may wish to stick the foam to the baseboards before laying track on the foam so the usual caveat here of testing a small scrap piece with whatever you are using for adhesive, I would imaging sticking the foam with two way tape would not have disastrous side effects on the foam.

Joseph,

I'm currently using it on my layout, there are sections in the loft awaiting track laying that have been through a year cycle of loft heat, cold and damp without any ill effects, there was another post,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81301-layout-track-underlay-foam-3mm-b-q-stuff/?p=1312889

on the subject

I find that with Latex instead of PVA ballast glue it's quite resilient and is good for sound absorption.

Our Club layout uses cork, and we have found it susceptible to swelling with damp if not properly sealed, so I prefer the foam. I think yours at 5mm is a bit thicker than mine bit it sounds as if it might be ideal.

• RMweb Gold

Joseph,

I too ended up with over-lengths of that floor underlay foam and in a mad fit of enthusiasm undid all of the laid track and fitted it all over the layout, don't know what effect adhesives or paints will have on it as I pinned all of my track down. 

It does reduce the noise level somewhat but from my experience not totally, you may wish to stick the foam to the baseboards before laying track on the foam so the usual caveat here of testing a small scrap piece with whatever you are using for adhesive, I would imaging sticking the foam with two way tape would not have disastrous side effects on the foam.

Hi Martin,

I think that I might well use double-sided tape to fix the XPS to the baseboard. That would make it easy to trim down the XPS afterwards. That said, I could stick/pin track templates to the sheets of XPS and trim before laying.

• RMweb Gold

Joseph,

I'm currently using it on my layout, there are sections in the loft awaiting track laying that have been through a year cycle of loft heat, cold and damp without any ill effects, there was another post,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81301-layout-track-underlay-foam-3mm-b-q-stuff/?p=1312889

on the subject

I find that with Latex instead of PVA ballast glue it's quite resilient and is good for sound absorption.

Our Club layout uses cork, and we have found it susceptible to swelling with damp if not properly sealed, so I prefer the foam. I think yours at 5mm is a bit thicker than mine bit it sounds as if it might be ideal.

Thanks Peter. Good to know that the usual glues are safe to use. Only concern now would be the solvents in some paints but I can experiment with some offcuts before committing.

Hi Martin,

I think that I might well use double-sided tape to fix the XPS to the baseboard. That would make it easy to trim down the XPS afterwards. That said, I could stick/pin track templates to the sheets of XPS and trim before laying.

Joseph,

Because there was enough of the stuff, and that I had it for nothing as a left over, I just spread it all over the baseboards and then pinned the track wherever it needed fixing, probably just about the right thickness at approx. 3mm to look right.

I will eventually trim the foam at a set distance from the track sleepers but only after I have FINALLY satisfied myself that the track work is what I want, you will gather that I am not working to any plan and the layout is just for the fun of seeing trains move in 00, hopefully in a realistic setting and track layout.

So far after more than a full year in all temperatures in the loft there has been no visible deterioration in the foam other than a slight tendency to increase in size (not thickness) probably from intense summer temperatures, hopefully the insulation in the roof rafters now underway with off cuts of Kingspan (now you can tell there is no planning) will stabilise the temperature up there.

Martin

Archived