Colour of levers in signal boxes

Hi All, Can anyone help?. I'm scratch building Penzance signal box in 7mm and i'm getting close to detailing the interior eg levers,desk,stove etc. I was wondering what colour would these levers be. Are they in any particular order and how many would there be?.

Rob

Levers working stop signals and ground discs are red, working points are black, working facing point locks are blue. Distant signal levers are yellow but I'm sure that Penzance didn't have any working distants.

To get the levers correctly painted you should get hold of a copy of the signal box diagram. The Signalling Record Society list an undated drawing that you can buy.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I think that some forgot to mention the fact the half blue and half black is a motorised point, along with half brown and blue levers where for electric ground frame releases.

And all brown leaver was for level crossing locks. And last but not last are black and white chevron levers, arrows pointing up for the up line and pointing down for the down line detonator places (BANG)

Terry.

While Penzance has power operated points nowadays (blue top/black lower, top of lever cut short); they were installed about 25 years ago.

I didn't mention the others as I didn't think they applied to Penzance.

I also forgot to mention that spare (unused) levers are white; the GWR tended to either not fit levers or remove them when they became spare.

Archived