Battery boxes on C83 non corridor stock

I can see why you are puzzled.  The pics in Russell's Appendix Vol 1 are not as clear as they might be but suggest that there is one box on each side, mounted in the centre.  In addition there is another box on one side only.  A photo from the HMRS collection of W1847 straight out of the box shows that this box is mounted behind the truss rod at the end of the coach which carries the alarm gear.  This box is smaller than the other two and I am wondering whether it is in fact a battery box or something else - a regulator box, perhaps?

Chris

I can see why you are puzzled.  The pics in Russell's Appendix Vol 1 are not as clear as they might be but suggest that there is one box on each side, mounted in the centre.  In addition there is another box on one side only.  A photo from the HMRS collection of W1847 straight out of the box shows that this box is mounted behind the truss rod at the end of the coach which carries the alarm gear.  This box is smaller than the other two and I am wondering whether it is in fact a battery box or something else - a regulator box, perhaps?

Chris

Thanks Chris.That's pretty much the same conclusion that I came to. I have found quite a few photos of them in service and they are either taken from the wrong side or the under frame is obscured!

John

Archived