Help with the Union pacific RR

GWR88

Could anybody please help me with information about any reefer maintenance yards. I want to know more then anything about whether the reefers were cleaned out in sheds or just out in the yard? Thanks guys for any help you give!

I'll have to check the big book, but from memory it'd undoubtedly be out in the open. The only structures to support Reefer ops would be an ice house and roof level platforms and conveyors to supply ice and salt, long gone by the time of your era. All you would need would be space for an access road for the fuel or maintenance truck.

cheers 298

ive been working out clearances, track lengths and such like and I found out I cant fit 4X54 feet reefers in the yard so I can only use 40ft ones but they have roofwalks installed!!!! :nono:  So unless I find any without the roofwalks ill change the yard into a caboose furnishers or something like that.

cheers 298

ive been working out clearances, track lengths and such like and I found out I cant fit 4X54 feet reefers in the yard so I can only use 40ft ones but they have roofwalks installed!!!! :nono:  So unless I find any without the roofwalks ill change the yard into a caboose furnishers or something like that.

Very few 40' cars in your timeframe. Not many cabooses either. Shorter tank cars with a gantry for loading/unloading might be an option.

Adrian

The Atlas 17,600 Corn Syrup cars are about 40' long http://www.atlasrr.com/NFreight/ntrinity5.htm#.UxH-eGyEing

The Atlas 'Beer Can' shorty tankers are too early for your timeframe http://www.atlastrainman.com/NFreight/tmnbeercan.htm

Another option would be two-bay covered hoppers. They are used in cement and fracking sand traffic. In the latter traffic you can see cars of all types (some pushing the age limits) and they just need a flat area and a portable unloader. This is in northern Pennsylvania:

post-206-0-93368100-1393688811.jpg

Adrian

Cheers Adrian,

I live near Eastleigh yard and ive wanted to model where they load the ballast into the wagons so im gonna make an Americanised model of it. therefore I can sort of model Eastleigh and go American! Any ideas what ballast was carried in. I was looking at gondolas but most seem to be 60 feet long and I cant find any under 60 feet :scratchhead:

Any ideas what ballast was carried in. I was looking at gondolas but most seem to be 60 feet long and I cant find any under 60 feet :scratchhead:

Mostley shorter ballast cars that can dump either between the rails or to each side or side dump gondolas, both types are illustrated here;

http://www.aeroimage.com/railroad/MOW.htm

50' gondolas seem to be used in tie (sleeper) service these days or for spoil.

Nick

thanks adrian

The hoppers look really good so must now find them in either santa fe or union colours. Think i might ask the penguin if he can get a few in. And maybe a troop sleeper or two!

The closest I can see is Golden West Service patched into SP, with three numbers.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-50125 (available, and on sale)

Edit: oops there are a couple of UP numbers:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-50104 (no longer available)

Walthers also does nice loads for these.

Adrian

Reefers were cleaned in an open track.  Had a road next to it so the cleaners could drive a truck along side and a fuel truck could top off the fuel tanks.

Ballast cars are usually shorter hopper cars with MK doors (doors with a lengthwise chute that can put the ballast either inside or outside the rails.  The short "ballast car" is actually an air dump or side dump car that is most commonly used for distributing fill or rip-rap (boulders) on the sides of the embankments (the 'dump") or dumping chat (fine rock) on walkways between the tracks in the yards.  If is actually pretty useless for ballast as ballast because it dumps the rock several feet from the track and the object of ballast is to be ON the track.  8-)  The Salt Lake/Ogden area has quite a few side dumps on hand because they were always running cars of rock out onto the SP causeway across the Great Salt Lake to shore it up.

The gang cars in the  picture are in the RR museum in Ogden by the depot.  They are not in service.

Shorty covered hoppers would be in cement service (a concrete plant would also get modern twin hoppers for sand and aggregates).

40 ft reefers were phased out in the 1960's or early 1970's.  They had been gone for 2 decades before the SD60's showed up.

Thanks dave

Will contact walthers tomorrow (Wonder if i can understand american accents down my terrible phone line!!) and see how long the hoppers adrian suggested. Also il ask how much their shipping will be.

I'm not sure what you are pointing to on the Plus Daughters site - the link just brings up the full listing.

The Walthers twin hoppers are approximately 35' (significantly shorter than a 40' boxcar). I have a half dozen of them in NS and Southern liveries.

Also, with Walthers, you can order them to be shipped to your nearest hobby store that orders from Walthers, which may be better on shipping.

Adrian

Adrian my nearest hobby store is in eastleigh (UK) and they dont deal with walthers. The items on the plus daughters website is this one

http://www.rhis.co.uk/cgi-bin/cart.pl?db=railways.dat&merchant=plusdaughters

The link still doesn't work - I think because it is pointing at your cart, which it won't show to me.

Adrian

Guest Belgian

If you are planning a main line model in the Salt Lake area there are two other operators which served the area in 1986: Western Pacific and Amtrack. Also the Utah Railway has been mentioned in passing (note 'Railway') as that brings coal into Provo. Southern Pacific was the main interchange with UP in 1986, the Rio Grande interchanging with the Western Pacific, and although the latter had been taken over by UP in 1983 there would still be a few of the orange and silver locomotives around in 1986. Amtrack ran all the passenger trains. The occasional steam excursion could be included: UP had retained (still does) 4-8-4 #844 (numbered as 8444 in 1986) and it ran through Salt Lake in 1989 on its way to/from LA. Sister engine #833 is preserved at Ogden (unrestored) as is one of the legendary Gas Turbines.

You've chosen an interesting area to model!

Adrian my nearest hobby store is in eastleigh (UK) and they dont deal with walthers. The items on the plus daughters website is this one

http://www.rhis.co.uk/cgi-bin/cart.pl?db=railways.dat&merchant=plusdaughters

Failing that you can try Invicta in Sidcup. They are building their US/CDN side and can order from Walthers directly. My last order took 10 working days.

thanks belgian,

im going to model a small engineers yard with trains coming in every so often. Decided to call it route 84 maintenance yard. Cheers Andrew

What is a "engineers yard" or a "maintenance yard"?

Centerflow hoppers are covered hoppers - 2 bay for high density products (e.g. cement, fracking sand), 4 bay for less dense stuff (e.g. grain if trough hatches, plastic beads if round ones).

Ballast would be in open hoppers.

Adrian

Archived