Mystery location

Strathyre

I recently won an auction on a well known site for a negative showing a J36, purported to be 65308, at a station presumably somewhere in Scotland. 

I originally thought it was Aberfoyle, on the basis of the hill formations, but the platform and buildings don't look right. I also thought Ballater but, again, it doesn't seem to fit. I'm also not convinced about the locomotive's identity - 65308 was withdrawn from Eastfield in 1951.

Any ideas? I'm now thinking somewhere in the ex-GNSR area...

post-15658-0-14498600-1393444522.jpg

Paul

Edit - just in case of any worries about copyright, it comes to me as the new owner of the negative.

Edit - just in case of any worries about copyright, it comes to me as the new owner of the negative.

Actually that is debatable, as I understand it. If you can guarantee that it is an original negative and it was supplied with a written statement that copyright was transferred to yourself then you are correct. However if it is just a copy negative you cannot assume you have copyright on the image just because you own the negative. 

Actually, luckily in this case it's not debatable - it is an original sold with copyright.

Paul

Nice result then well done - unfortunately many people think because they own the negative then they own the copyright which isn't always true. Sounds like you've got it covered.

As far as I understand it, the photographer holds the copyright. Therefore, as long as you buy the negative from the original photographer with a signed statement to the fact that the copyright has been transferred, that is ok.

If the original photographer is dead, then they cannot (obviously) sign any transfer form - and only after 70 years have elapsed from the date of death does the copyright lapse.

However, I may have got his wrong.

Third time of trying to reply - $#%*! tablet!

I don't think it's Aberfoyle. That's an island platform, or a platform with a bay. Aberfoyle wasn't an island platform and while it appears to have had a (goods?) bay, the curve is in the wrong direction. Also, those look like concrete lamp posts with electric lights on them - I would be surprised if Aberfoyle got those before closure.

However, having said where I think it's not, I don't have any suggestions about where it is - sorry.

Paul - there's a corridor connection on the vehicle to the right of the engine. There also looks to be one on the vehicle in the background, to the left of the train - is that clearer in the original negative? If so, I think it cuts down the possibilities a bit.

Looking at the hill-scape (is that a real word) I think it's Aviemore - it appears to be at the north end of the station facing north in a bay to the west side - can only find a 1900 map which doesn't have that cottage there but it mostly fits.... it may also explain the presence of coaches lying about the place.

Paul

Just looked at Google earth, I'm now sure it is Aviemore and, if it is, that would pretty much rule out 65308 - could be 65338 which was a Kittybrewster engine in the mid-late 50's although the lack of smokebox numberplate would suggest early in the nationalisation period so the whole number's probably wrong!

I've got another photo that I want to identify, stand by!

Paul

I was going to suggest that possibly the photo was back to front but I can just make out the hinges on the smokebox door on the correct side so that's another bright idea shot down.

As to it being Aviemore, the platform doesn't seem to be wide enough but if it was a North facing bay as you suggest......

Jim

• 1 year later...

It seemed silly to start a new thread for this enquiry and so I'm making use of this existing thread. I recently bought this negative of N15 69163 in charge of the Branch Line Society's Bathgate and District railtour of 6/5/61. As per usual there's no worthwhile documentation with it and so i should be grateful for identification of the station where this shot was taken please:

Rgds,

Mike M.

post-10609-0-59182700-1440413750.jpg

Archived