slitting discs

IGRL

Hello.

I can no longer find a supply of carborundum slitting discs. 22mm (approx) which are less that .5mm thick. They all seem to be .6 now and they are usesless. Does anyone have any ideas?

This is the currect project. A Gwalior Rlys mikado with English cab!77.jpg

I have always cut sheet brass (I do very little as I do not scratch build if I can avoid it - I build kits) using a combination of tin shears and saws.

But still am having difficulty understanding why a 0.1mm difference in thickness of the disc can have an apparently dramatic difference on the cut. These discs have a tendency to disintegrate in use dispatching shards all over the show, a top reason for not using them. They are also very uncontrollable unless fixed in position, another good reason to replace with something more workable. Tin snips/cutters can cut nearly all sheet brass thickness that we use as modellers. Saws are generally safe, by comparison. The edge is never going to be perfect whatever tool is used and will need some dressing with a file.

Is it that the material used on the cutting face has changed rather than simply the 0.1mm thickness, perhaps coarser and the disc is catching more as it cuts?

If you are using your discs to cut straight lines in sheet, have you considered a skrawker? They are also sold by Eileen's and, although primarily designed for cutting plastic sheet, make a very nice straight cut in brass as well using a similar method for plastic. IE a number of passes to create a one third thickness (roughly) cut in the surface and then bend and snap. Finish off with a few strokes of a file.

Regards

Sandy

If you are using your discs to cut straight lines in sheet, have you considered a skrawker? They are also sold by Eileen's and, although primarily designed for cutting plastic sheet, make a very nice straight cut in brass as well using a similar method for plastic. IE a number of passes to create a one third thickness (roughly) cut in the surface and then bend and snap. Finish off with a few strokes of a file.

Regards

Sandy

Thanks for this tip, Sandy - I've been wondering for a long time how to cut sheet metal and get a straight line. Until now I've been trying with a piercing saw, and the line's been anything but straight (perhaps that's just lousy workmanship, of course!)

Phil

Hello.

I can no longer find a supply of carborundum slitting discs. 22mm (approx) which are less that .5mm thick. They all seem to be .6 now and they are usesless. Does anyone have any ideas?

I use Expo diamond metal discs. They are expensive but last for ages, don't explode and make the thinnest cut. Be bold as they do get extremely hot on a long cut and melting of the material being cut is a possibility.

Thanks for this tip, Sandy - I've been wondering for a long time how to cut sheet metal and get a straight line. Until now I've been trying with a piercing saw, and the line's been anything but straight (perhaps that's just lousy workmanship, of course!)

Phil

U R welcome Phil. Keep the saw for the wiggly bits!

Sandy

Archived