Bristol Bath Road TMD - Plan shelved, new idea Ashton Gate Station/Platform

Intercity 125

Hi, I am building (or going to build) a layout. It will be 8' x 1'6", but I can't decide what design to go with. It will be either a TMD, a terminus, a through station or a stretch of mainline. Can you all help me to decide? Thanks. I don't know how to add a poll, so just reply and I'll count.

EDIT: It seems to have worked!

• RMweb Gold

Hi I've tried all three over the last year, after returning to the hobby I decided in a shed scene, it makes track plans simpler, and you only really need to buy locos etc. after a few months and looking on here I decided I wanted to run passenger trains etc so I decided on a terminus. This lasted a couple of weeks, it just didn't feel right as I wanted full length trains and a mainline terminus, there was no way I felt I could do this to the scale I wanted and with a terminus I couldn't run goods trains. So take three, I've now decided on a mainline layout, this gives me the possibility to run passenger and goods, as there is a large yard off scene to allow a large selection of goods trains. There is also a stabling point going off scene to, but I'm building it with room to expand so in future I can add a shed scene. Hope this helps and good luck, there is a link below to my thread if that will help more.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone, I have gone for a hybrid of two choices, the TMD and the stretch of mainline. The mainline will go past the TMD, but I still need a name. I initially thought North End TMD?

Nothing wrong with that, so if your happy with it go for it.

Paul

Just a thought. Would it not be more interesting from an operational point of view if you had a spur from the TMD to the main line? Or is the lack of connection deliberate?

Just a thought. Would it not be more interesting from an operational point of view if you had a spur from the TMD to the main line? Or is the lack of connection deliberate?

Well, I thought about that, but my background story is that just offscreen to the left there is a terminus and the TMD connects further along just before the terminus, so yes it is deliberate. Also, it's cheaper as there are fewer point motors!

Bobster, we should get the keys on Friday, but I am then going on holiday to Rome :), so there won't be anything happening for 2-3 weeks. :(

Well, I thought about that, but my background story is that just offscreen to the left there is a terminus and the TMD connects further along just before the terminus, so yes it is deliberate. Also, it's cheaper as there are fewer point motors!

Bobster, we should get the keys on Friday, but I am then going on holiday to Rome :), so there won't be anything happening for 2-3 weeks. :(

Good luck with the move on Friday - Enjoy your trip to Rome - Watch those Centurions if they try to push you for a photo !! They ain't cheap  :nono:  - Hail Caesar

Cheers, Bob.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh dear. I went to the Bistol MRE and awlots of N gauge layouts... I'm tempted.

When I returned to the hobby I went for n gauge but then after watching various YouTube videoes I turned back to oo gauge as I wanted dcc sound. But having said that the standard of n gauge locos has really come on and a friend of mine bri.s who's on here (Barnsley Central) has an n gauge layout with sound. If you go to my weathering link you can see some n gauge locos compared to oo if that helps.

Good luck

Paul

Cheers PjKing1, I've seen your thread, I liked your 08. N gauge has improved and apart from the couplings, the new locos are almost equal. Now I've posted a track plan, I'm not sure what design to go for. Does anyone have any ideas of prototype location that will fit in 8' (or 185 4mm scale metres)?

• 3 weeks later...

It depends what you want really,,,

If you want mainline express trains 8' isn't a lot even in N gauge. I tried N but remember there may be more available now, but it's still a drop in the ocean compared to OO

Nice one Jinty, I might have a go at a wagon works, although I know nearly nothing about freight stock. I know I have a BTU tool coach and a couple of open wagons and a bogie well wagon. For me, it's all about the coaching stock! Once the extension is built, I might be abe to crack on with the layout. I thought maybe a changeable river board (see below)

post-21426-0-72602500-1401740600_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I haven't posted for ages, but here's the new plan:

14920838215_777b06b960_b.jpg

Bristol Bath Road TMD 00 gauge by firstbusphotos, on Flickr

Some of you may recognise it as Bristol Bath Road main shed (others will read the above caption :P )

I have nearly finished the baseboards, I need to add side strengthening and drill holes for the bolts between each board.

14917755011_8e808dce60_b.jpg

14734163680_0c7e343ce1_b.jpg

14917758371_15892d60da_b.jpg

14917754681_5a5c6c51bf_b.jpg

14734225068_d3a3e9f050_b.jpg

Progress should be quicker now we've moved in, turns out we have rising damp or dry rot at one end of the living room, we should get a quote from the builders for the extension and the loft conversion as well soon.

Cheers for now, IC125

Archived