Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Zimo - Digitrains Random Sounds

Nicktoix

I have recently bought a Zimo 645 with Digitrains sound set for LMS 2P.

I would like to turn off some of the random sounds notably the Westinghouse pump which is inappropriate  for most LMS locos.

Is it possible to do this using a SPROG?

Nick

Yes. 

Several ways:

If the decoder firmware is above version 32, you can set the volume of the relevant random sound to zero.  The current decoder files within JMRI include individual volume control of all sound elements if the decoder firmware is at that level.   JMRI can read the decoder to determine the version number and offer the appropriate decoder file.

Use the ZimoPseudoProgrammer script (you need the Sprog in "Command Station" mode for this, and the track power turned on before starting the script) to alter which sounds appear in various random slots; you can either put a different sound into the slot, or just set the slot to "no sound".   This should work for any version number of the decoder. 

(I expect there are other ways).

In the absence of "sound project writer information" as to which slot was used for the Westinghouse pump, you will have to experiment to find which random slot contains the noise. 

- Nigel

Experimenting is quite simple with the PseudoProgrammer script.   Pick a "random noise" slot from the drop list, and play the sound.  If its the Westinghouse pump, you've found it, if not, step back (Exit in the user interface) and pick another from the drop down list.   There aren't very many to choose from !  Once you find the slot, set it to "clear sound and end", or pick a different sound to be the random one and "accept sound"

The terminology in the script's user interface is a match with that used in the Zimo decoder manual on PsuedoProgramming.   The script just makes the process a LOT easier by hand-holding you through all the options presented in the Zimo user manual. 

- Nigel

Sorted. Thank you very much for your help.

Nick

Nick,

I've been out all day, only just picked up your post. Glad you got sorted in the meantime.

The Westinghouse pump random sound is on random generator Z1, which you will know by now.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived