To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

LNER Y7 Chimney Casting S Scale

HarryP

Wondered if anyone could help with a cast chimney for an LNER Y7. I picked up an etched kit, but the Society no longer stocks the cast chimney (LC1). If anyone has one spare, I would appreciate it and pay handsomely (well within reason), i'm no millionaire.

Many thanks

New S Scale Society Member

Andrew "Harry" Palmer

Wondered if anyone could help with a cast chimney for an LNER Y7. I picked up an etched kit, but the Society no longer stocks the cast chimney (LC1). If anyone has one spare, I would appreciate it and pay handsomely (well within reason), i'm no millionaire.

Many thanks

New S Scale Society Member

Andrew "Harry" Palmer

Harry,

The "Y7" chimney is actually a 7mm w/metal casting intended for a Ffestiniog Railway Double-Fairlie kit, once available from Wrightlines (business sold, and temporarily closed). This chimney casting is very close to the correct dimensions for an S scale Y7 chimney - or at least looks the part - being only a millimetre or so too high. You could take a slice out of it at the top, if that minor discrepancy bothers you.

Until the Fairlie kit is back in production, you could seek out stocks of these chimneys as spares (try the 7mm NG Society), or even acquire two by purchasing a cheap 7mm Fairlie kit second-hand, badly made up or otherwise - and there's your Y7 chimney! 

I know this because, as S Scale Society Parts Officer in 2008-2009, I used to order replacements from Kay Butler when she owned Wrightlines. 

Hope this helps.

Archived