Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

Nothing special here except these...which I believe are Meadow Browns. Didn't see many this year though. But I have had 3 plants arrive this week that should hopefully attract more. 3 Buddleia Buzz plants specially for patio pots from Thompson & Morgan...only grow to 4ft high...so they say, will get them potted up in small pots this weekend and next Spring get them into a large plastic planter that I have spare.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/perennial-and-biennial-plants/buddleja-buzz-collection/p90090TM

post-5014-0-72184300-1478352519_thumb.jpg

post-5014-0-18819800-1478352528_thumb.jpg

post-5014-0-03593100-1478352535_thumb.jpg

post-5014-0-92791300-1478352600.jpg

post-5014-0-06722600-1478352603.jpg

• Like 2

Do keep us informed about the size those Buddleias want to grow to! Whatever the opinion of the supplying nursery, I don't think there has been much success in curtailing Buddleia's world domination tendencies. At least it takes no harm from brutal pruning to keep it in bounds.

DSC_6196%20600%20x%20447_zpsjmaocwai.jpg

speckled wood

Meant to comment on this pic at time of first posting, as it hints at an effect that the Speckled Wood can occasionally produce, a vivid purple flash when caught at just the right angle in sunlight. This is just visible on the upper wing tips in the photo. I was really surprised the first time this otherwise fairly brown butterfly 'did it'.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Do keep us informed about the size those Buddleias want to grow to! Whatever the opinion of the supplying nursery, I don't think there has been much success in curtailing Buddleia's world domination tendencies. At least it takes no harm from brutal pruning to keep it in bounds.

I'll have these in a couple of large plastic tubs so they shouldn't get out and take over the world...I'm not fussed if they go taller than 4ft except for moving the things.

Meant to comment on this pic at time of first posting, as it hints at an effect that the Speckled Wood can occasionally produce, a vivid purple flash when caught at just the right angle in sunlight. This is just visible on the upper wing tips in the photo. I was really surprised the first time this otherwise fairly brown butterfly 'did it'.

Yes, I wasn't that aware speckled woods have this effect on their wings until I had downloaded the photo' into my laptop. The only relevant reference that I can find in Thomas and Lewington's excellent Butterflies of Britain and Ireland is to the Scottish sub-species that can have a touch of purple around the outer edges of its underwings. It's an intriguing effect.

Chaz

Nothing special here except these...which I believe are Meadow Browns. Didn't see many this year though. But I have had 3 plants arrive this week that should hopefully attract more. 3 Buddleia Buzz plants specially for patio pots from Thompson & Morgan...only grow to 4ft high...so they say, will get them potted up in small pots this weekend and next Spring get them into a large plastic planter that I have spare.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/perennial-and-biennial-plants/buddleja-buzz-collection/p90090TM

The first "thumbnail" is not a meadow brown - it's a small copper (with wings closed) and a very welcome sight! Their numbers have been very low this year apparently and I haven't see a single one.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

The first "thumbnail" is not a meadow brown - it's a small copper (with wings closed) and a very welcome sight! Their numbers have been very low this year apparently and I haven't see a single one.

Chaz

Thanks for that Chaz...no I haven't seen many butterflies at all this year...those pics were from 2015. Alas my butterfly identification skills aren't very good...especially when they all look brown with spots

• RMweb Gold

Cardiff is plainly a hotspot

Saw a Peacock in Pentwyn today

Also have some of those Buddlea Buzz - mine arrived earlier in the year and have flowered but have yet to see a butterfly on them

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Also have some of those Buddlea Buzz - mine arrived earlier in the year and have flowered but have yet to see a butterfly on them

Phil

A few minutes up the road from me. Phil. I also saw one over the road from the house early PM yesterday.

Phil

It's a bit odd really that the daisies that I photographed the Butterflies on have not really attracted them before and the plants were there when I moved in 10 years ago but then in 2015 they were covered in Butterflies. We'll see what happens with the Buddleia's. Again rather oddly Godstone station has a forest of the normal Buddleia around it but the times I've gone past I've never seen a butterfly on them either.

• RMweb Gold

A few minutes up the road from me. Phil. I also saw one over the road from the house early PM yesterday.

Was at a meeting at The Park Inn

M/A48 was a carp park when I arrived - and when I left!

Phil

It's a bit odd really that the daisies that I photographed the Butterflies on have not really attracted them before and the plants were there when I moved in 10 years ago but then in 2015 they were covered in Butterflies. We'll see what happens with the Buddleia's. Again rather oddly Godstone station has a forest of the normal Buddleia around it but the times I've gone past I've never seen a butterfly on them either.

The natural world is full of surprises and doesn't always follow the script. Who would have expected to see a desert wheatear (think Morocco) in North Norfolk?

• RMweb Gold

Was at a meeting at The Park Inn

M/A48 was a carp park when I arrived - and when I left!

Phil

About 3 mins from here!

I got stuck on it eastbound before 1000, whilst giving a driving lesson, don't know if there was an incident. Westbound was always going to be busy because of the eggchasing in town later. I presume you don't mean carp park, it hadn't been raining ;) Anyway Red Ad about 200m from home yesterday PM.

Edited by Tim Hall

• RMweb Gold

About 3 mins from here!

I got stuck on it eastbound before 1000, whilst giving a driving lesson, don't know if there was an incident. Westbound was always going to be busy because of the eggchasing in town later. I presume you don't mean carp park, it hadn't been raining ;) Anyway Red Ad about 200m from home yesterday PM.

Rumour has it there was a suicide attempt off one of the bridges .... the 48 was closed at M4 shortly after I joined it! Hope all resolved ok...

And not a carp to be seen - but the jams were on a large scale, and never seemed to fin-ish

Back on thread - a peacock here in Cheltenham yesterday - but I suspect not today, much colder!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Rumour has it there was a suicide attempt off one of the bridges .... the 48 was closed at M4 shortly after I joined it! Hope all resolved ok...

And not a carp to be seen - but the jams were on a large scale, and never seemed to fin-ish

Back on thread - a peacock here in Cheltenham yesterday - but I suspect not today, much colder!

Phil

Ah, that would make sense, will skate over the typo, I know my plaice.

• RMweb Gold

Global warming strikes again!

There has been a feature on the Midlands news tonight about salmon running up the River Teme - nicely done too. On the Wye and Usk it has now been realised that if temps don't drop below a certain point they wont spawn.....so all that effort in vain if a warm Autumn

Phil

Global warming strikes again!

There has been a feature on the Midlands news tonight about salmon running up the River Teme - nicely done too. On the Wye and Usk it has now been realised that if temps don't drop below a certain point they wont spawn.....so all that effort in vain if a warm Autumn

Phil

Yes Phil, we are doing a great job in bu**ering up the planet. You will have seen all the stuff about "a mass extinction coming soon to a world near you". I have a very strong feeling that one particular species will do the natural world a big favour if it goes extinct first.

Chaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Let's get this topic up again for 2017.

Very warm here in the soft south today. I "did" my local patch walking south along the Itchen and heard several birds who think it's spring - a song thrush, several chiff-chaffs, a chaffinch, dunnocks, wrens, great tits ("teacher, teacher, teacher"). At the far end of the walk, just off the river I was rewarded with this...

DSC_6907-1%20600%20x%20435_zpsoadvjjow.j

Commas hibernate on the top of logs etc hence the brilliant dead-leaf camouflage when their wings are closed. They are on the wing as soon as the weather turns warm, looking for a mate. This one was very active in the warm sunlight.

DSC_6909-1%20600%20x%20444_zpssmkr38bf.j

Not in bad condition at all, considering it's been lying low through the winter.

DSC_6900-1%20600%20x%20485_zpsfr21jenf.j

Chaz

• Like 4