The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Hurrah - a bit of sunshine is all it takes

A male brimstone spotted today - not doing what he is suppose to do, flying along a hawthorn hedge prospecting for a mate but rather flying up the high street past Cheltenham Model Centre!

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fishing today in Wiltshire, Brimstone too, plus many other unidentified on the wing, plus a dragonfly.

Grass snake, about 2- 3 foot long swam no less than 10 feet away from me, haven't seen one of those for a few years,

Oh and a 13lb common carp, the first of 2018.

Neil

• Like 3

Well seen my first butterflies of the year on my morning constitutional, a couple of what I think are Orange Tips...moving to fast and wouldn't settle for me to get any pics. 

They do that! Male orange tips are on a mission and unless they encounter a female or their favourite plant (Jack by the Hedge) rarely alight for long enough for the camera. They are considered the archetypal spring butterfly.

Chaz

• Like 1

Yes, butterfly ID is like bird ID - their behaviour can give significant clues to their species

Phil

Yes, indeed, although anyone who finds a male orange tip hard to ID should have gone to.....you know who! 

post-9071-0-22710000-1524352503.jpg

Taken on 7th April 2017 - I haven't yet seen an orange tip this year.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

We were on the North Norfolk coast last week. We saw red admirals, small tortoiseshells, peacocks and brimstones. I got a few snaps...

post-9071-0-41626700-1524389687.jpg

These photos were taken on Overy Marsh.

post-9071-0-85241000-1524389847.jpg

post-9071-0-29502900-1524389873.jpg

post-9071-0-06300900-1524389897.jpg

While we were looking for butterflies this turned up...

post-9071-0-00732800-1524389947.jpg

...and then these two showed up - but very distant, hence the noisy images.

post-9071-0-56910000-1524390243.jpg

post-9071-0-75967100-1524390267.jpg

Chaz

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Another male brimstone in the back garden yesterday

And then the jackpot for SWMBO - a hedgehog turned up yesterday evening. Suspected he was around as found little messages in the garden yesterday but great to see

Phil

• Like 2

Mine was a female...

Phil

You mean like this one, found on Magdalen Hill Down this afternoon?

post-9071-0-72607700-1524414798.jpg

She was very obliging, giving me ample time to change lenses, fiddle about with exposure settings etc. This is not the first female orange tip I have seen perched on a Dandelion "clock" - could it be that they recognise it as a perch where their camouflage will be effective?

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

Yes, female orange tips are difficult to identify in flight, especially from distance. I wonder how many I assume are small whites. Unfortunately, unless feeding or egg laying, they seem not to pose for me very often at all. Others obviously have more luck; and I have a similar problem with female brimstones. 

• RMweb Gold

Yes, female orange tips are difficult to identify in flight, especially from distance. I wonder how many I assume are small whites. Unfortunately, unless feeding or egg laying, they seem not to pose for me very often at all. Others obviously have more luck; and I have a similar problem with female brimstones. 

Know what you mean Johnny - but  a clue is that the flight pattern is rather more urgent than the rather languid aeronautical navigation of a small white

Phil

Know what you mean Johnny - but  a clue is that the flight pattern is rather more urgent than the rather languid aeronautical navigation of a small white

Phil

Unless I am doing a transect my aim is usually to get a photo' so distant IDs don't trouble me. Until I discovered their passion for Jack by the Hedge (Alliaria petiolata) I had great trouble getting any decent snaps of male orange tips. So my first move today was to find the plant. Plenty on the down and flowering but not in last year's area. Unfortunately the sun was not out and the butterflies were not showing but I will be ready if the weather is brighter.

Chaz

First butterflies of the year appeared last week in my garden in Kincardineshire: four Peacocks and a pair of Small Tortoiseshells. After years of not having a garden worth the name, I now have one that's large and rural, and I have high hopes. Last year, not long after I moved, I was astounded to find a Comma - I believe the most northerly sighting reported last year. Being from NI, I'd never seen a Comma before! Another unexpected visitor was a Small Copper.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another male brimstone in the back garden yesterday

And then the jackpot for SWMBO - a hedgehog turned up yesterday evening. Suspected he was around as found little messages in the garden yesterday but great to see

Phil

And now two regular Hog visitors!

Much grunting the other night - could hoglets be imminent?

Phil

• Like 1

Just seen my first Speckled Wood of the year, in the back garden.

This is promising with the weather expected to improve steadily through the week and into the weekend. No sign of an Orange Tip or Comma here though.  

• Like 1