South African Steam

Derekl

Following the marvelous pictures of SA steam posted earlier, I thought I might point those interested to this site: 

https://sites.google.com/site/soulorailway/

It is incomplete (and a massive work), but growing. In addition to some pretty spectacular old and modern pictures, there is what appears to be very informed comment on the development of the SAR, and some pretty acerbic comment on the contraction of the network.

For those interested in 2' NG, see particularly System 3, currently covering the Port Elizabeth - Avontuur line in some detail.

Also marvelous stuff!

Hope you enjoy...

Indeed. Charlie Lewis was one of the prime movers of the Alfred County Railway from Port Shepstone to Harding.

...as well as being one of the joint authors of "Steam on the Veld", "The Great Steam Trek" (one of my book choices if I ever became a Desert Island Disc castaway) and "Steam in Africa".

Les Pivnic played the key role in putting together the South African "national collection", only for much of it to have succumbed to the depredations of metal theives.  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Both are regular contributors to a Yahoo! Group on all aspects of South African railways (whence I first learned of this project)..

Fascinating stuff, too much to read and take in all in one go though.  I'll have to bookmark it and come back to it later.

Quickly reading through the bit about the closure of the Avontuur line made my blood boil.  Why do such people hate railways so much?  Owning a fleet of lorries may have something to do with it, perhaps.

Archived