Finnish wooden coach

Petri Sallinen

Yes, it is the generator. We did not have the belt driven generators in Finnish coaches (=too much snow and ice in underframes during wintertime). This generator is axle driven, but I have not model the axle or the holder for generator axle — anyway, the generator is locating right :) Please look at the drawing of the prototype, I think that you will get the idea of the generator in picture. Many underframe details are still missing in this model because at this moment it is just the prototype for testing my ideas, I am sorry for that (I have not designed any N-scale models before - only H0-models). There have to be also some details of the braking system, but also tubes for steam heating and some details of water based central heating system. I think you will get new pictures after I have got everything ready. I thank you for your interest.

p5a3.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Petri,

I bet belts (leather, leather/rubber/leather and later leather/nylon/leather) became too brittle in your winters and a direct drive, although more expensive, was more suited to your conditions.

(No idea just speculating...)

Kev.

I bet belts (leather, leather/rubber/leather and later leather/nylon/leather) became too brittle in your winters and a direct drive, although more expensive, was more suited to your conditions. (No idea just speculating...)

Kev, you are right. Belt drive was tested in some coaches, but it did not work well in wintertime. The gas was also used for lightning until 1960´s. For gas lightning you are able to see gray tanks under the floor (three or four tanks per coach; this is my H0-model). Now I also notice that this is very much off topic (I am sorry for that), although it might be interesting....so it might be better to end this :)

mae9.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful modelling Petri.

To answer your original question regarding DG's I think that you will have to set your own standards of height and distance based around what radius curves you will want the coaches to negotiate, and that you are working to 1:160, whereas most recommendations are for 1:148/1:152, and mostly for wagons. Lower height setting is needed should they be attached to the bogies, and essential for tighter radius of any thing much under about 24"/600mm. You may also find difficulty in fitting the delay latch if corridor connections/overhangs exist.

Izzy

Archived