Metal Kit and overcoming DCC short circuits

My old C12 (GNR Ivatt 4-4-2T) built from a Craftsman kit has risen to the top of the pile of 'old stuff' for its turn to be made operable using DCC. It has always been a good runner on DC, and has the potential with DCC well in evidence: but only on straight and level track.

As those who know this prototype will appreciate, it has both a pretty crowded wheelbase and a low continuous footplate with steps aligned close to wheelrims. The momentary shorts which were tolerated in DC are no go on DCC. I now have the under footplate area insulated with tape which has got me 70% of the way there, and am looking for an equally effective treatment which I can apply readily to all contactable surfaces of body or underframe. Is there a heavy paint that would adhere well to brass and nickel silver and do the job?

No way am I changing the carrying wheels to plastic by the way, it picks up on all wheels and needs to, because the drivers are the lovely looking but poorly conducting aluminium tyred Stephen Poole type of blessed memory.

Archived