Wichita Kansas

While sorting a out a load of locomotives to put on eBay I came across a P2K Santa Fe GP30, which got me thinking about another layout.

A quick search on Railpictures http://www.railpictures.net/ for photos of BNSF GP30’s and this was one that came up http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=23292&nseq=6

After looking round the area I thought i could do something based on this place.

I know they are larger grain hoppers and larger tank cars but I'll use small ones, its all about compromise

I should be able to get away with a 4 1/2 foot layout on two sets of legs, with a bolt on fiddle yard.(2 1/2 feet long )

As I’ve only using two sound locos on the layout at anyone time I can use a just a power cab

Stock would be

Four locos in total, 2 GP30’s and 2 MP15dc’s

6-8 hoppers and 4-6 tank cars plus a couple of caboose

Operated from in front of the fiddle yard

post-7237-0-85291200-1395337998_thumb.jpg

Easy to drop the GP30 body onto a Kato GP35 Chassis - let me know if you would like me to do the conversion - if so, keep those 2 Kato GP35s you had in the 'for sale' pile.

Jez

With the tank car unloading point effectively being "off scene", would it work by swapping that industry type for one where the load can be seen, thus replicating this action....? Just a thought for a future project....

The Cleburne Cab geeps would be perfect for something like this also, and for an earlier era, a CF7 would be a natural! ;)

I'm sure finding a CF7 won't be a problem. How's about switching with a DDA40X...?

I'm sure finding a CF7 won't be a problem. How's about switching with a DDA40X...?

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Well there is already one CF7 operating not too far from Wichita (in our modelling world) that could be leased out ;)

Referring back to Martyn's comment re Topeka Geeps if you check out the Webb Asset Management (WAMX) roster there are some top quality "rent'a'wrecks" running around the area you're looking at

Dan

Re my earlier post. I should have added that my photo is off a Boeing 737 fuselage on a flat car outside the Spirit aero structures plant in SE Wichita. BNSF transport 30 odd of these a month from here to the Boeing plant in Renton just outside Seattle - about 1500 miles away.

Archived