HO substitutes for modern OO ferry/tunnel wagons

Well that prohibition on spending lasted long, Electrotren Transfesa bogie tanker and 3 door bogie van just been ebay'd. If the 3 door van is good I'd like a few more to make a decent train of them.

Jouef van still awaiting new bogies....

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress with the Jouef wagon, bogies have been blackened. The original plan was Bachmann y25 bogies, but a: I'm not sure where they are, b: I'd still have to work out a way of fitting the nem pockets, and c: I now have other stock with euro couplings that aren't nem. Still, looks better with black bogies!

post-9147-0-65615500-1398804193_thumb.jpg

As pictured here! Electrotren Transfesa bogie tanker. I think it may be the same type as an Ontracks tanker I got last year (currently away getting weathered) which is nem so I can use that as an adaptor wagon between hook and loop and euro style couplings.

post-9147-0-41044100-1398804478_thumb.jpg

Other new wagon, which is nem, is a 3 door Electrotren bogie van.

post-9147-0-34567000-1398804820_thumb.jpg

compared to a vga, it's the same height.

post-9147-0-06616000-1398804942_thumb.jpg

Width is almost the same too. So far, comparing better than the Jouef wagon does.

post-9147-0-62628200-1398805029_thumb.jpg

A rake of these are now on my future wish list :)

Mrs Satan bought me a wagon earlier. A Heljan flat cargowaggon. OO, not HO, but very useful for size comparrisons.

post-9147-0-38961300-1399151674_thumb.jpg

It has the same chassis length as the cargowaggon bogie van. So this shows the HO bogie vans are slightly shorter.

post-9147-0-86194100-1399151785_thumb.jpg

It's intended role is as the other barrier vehicle from hook and loop to euro couplings so one of the nem pockets has had a euro loop fitted to mate with the Jouef bogie van.

post-9147-0-09932500-1399152016_thumb.jpg

The removed hook and loop has found it's way onto the Electrotren bogie van. It looks like it sits on the van at a nicer closer spacing than it does on the flat.

post-9147-0-31577400-1399152163_thumb.jpg

And of course, fitting the whole lot together, because I can. I really should do this along side more domestic OO stock to see if it looks right.

post-9147-0-86746100-1399152375_thumb.jpg

anchor transfers to make soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a very useful thread Satan, I'm looking at expanding my "international" wagon options for Pendeford sidings and you've asked all the questions I could think off already so I'm off too theifbay shortly to see what I can purchase.

Simon

Glad to be of service. I've just printed off a few 'anchor' transfers as previously discussed using the dimensions provided with the images as a rough guide. I'll add pics when I've applied some to wagons. Still on my wish list on the this topic are the very expensive acme interfrigo wagons and the biggest plain silver/grey 2 sliding door roco bogie vans which I'd like to try making big blue 'VTG Ferrywagon' arrows to add to the side. Need to get my super nice smile on to get mrs satan to let me buy some.

Glad to be of service. I've just printed off a few 'anchor' transfers as previously discussed using the dimensions provided with the images as a rough guide. I'll add pics when I've applied some to wagons. Still on my wish list on the this topic are the very expensive acme interfrigo wagons and the biggest plain silver/grey 2 sliding door roco bogie vans which I'd like to try making big blue 'VTG Ferrywagon' arrows to add to the side. Need to get my super nice smile on to get mrs satan to let me buy some.

Those F3 VTG vans are seriously big; almost as long as a MkIII coach. If you'd like a drawing..

I ordered David Ratcliffes Ferry Wagons book today and should arrive tomorrow, what I'm really interested in running is some SNCB open wagons  

Belgian Ffs High Open Diag E377 seen over on Paul Bartletts very useful site, does anyone know if these are available RTR or something even close?

Simon

I ordered David Ratcliffes Ferry Wagons book today and should arrive tomorrow, what I'm really interested in running is some SNCB open wagons  

Belgian Ffs High Open Diag E377 seen over on Paul Bartletts very useful site, does anyone know if these are available RTR or something even close?

Simon

There were some Hornby ACHO wagons that might pass in poor light..

• 1 month later...

The picture in the top right corner of David Ratcliffe's international train-ferry wagons in colour shows a generic 40ft+ two axel low sided flat wagon being used as a runner between 2 bogie cargowaggon stake flats. This is to allow loads slightly longer than the bogie wagons to carried, the ends and first side sections of the two axel flat have been removed for the task.

So with that in mind, I picked up a Roco flat wagon today (anyone want a ho 40ft container?!) Which I plan to remove the ends and part of sides from, get another Heljan cargowaggon flat and then sandwich the Roco flat between them. Does mean my cargowaggon pictured above will have to change roles and the 3 wagon setup will probably become an international part of my steel train.

This means I need a new barrier wagon for coupling conversion at one end of the ho rake. Just found the Roco flat is nem pocket fitted, may have to get another! Such is life ;)

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with these Interfrigo vans from Acme / Marklin / Rivarossi etc is that they just don't look like the vans that visited the UK.

Electrotren used to make a model of the ferry van version .  I found a couple on Ebay that carried the Transfesa branding (there are photos of these at Paddock Wood too), but they also made a version in Interfrigo livery (Google for Electrotren 1478k).  Unfortunately I have only found one of those for sale online, and can't get a response from the seller!

Here's a picture for comparison:

post-17856-0-36420800-1403949213.jpg

The UK version has a slight overhang on the roof, and a riveted strip along the top of the sides.  It also has a more pointed roof (the top panel is much narrower than on the standard wagon, but I couldn't get a clear photo of that!)

Unfortunately, being HO, the Electrotren model is also a bit too small, but possibly wouldn't look out of place marshalled with other HO ferry vans.

Here's a comparison with a VDA van:

post-17856-0-85721100-1403949200.jpg

One day I might scratchbuild a rake of these but it doesn't look like the easiest job in the world to get right!

Mal

Those are useful comparrison shots, thanks for those. To my eye for lack of detail the non-ferry vans look close enough to the ferry vans, just add anchor decal, that they would be 'acceptable' oo substitutes. especially if they aren't run with ho ferry vans!

The trouble with these Interfrigo vans from Acme / Marklin / Rivarossi etc is that they just don't look like the vans that visited the UK.

Electrotren used to make a model of the ferry van version .  I found a couple on Ebay that carried the Transfesa branding (there are photos of these at Paddock Wood too), but they also made a version in Interfrigo livery (Google for Electrotren 1478k).  Unfortunately I have only found one of those for sale online, and can't get a response from the seller!

Here's a picture for comparison:

attachicon.gifTransfesa2.jpg

The UK version has a slight overhang on the roof, and a riveted strip along the top of the sides.  It also has a more pointed roof (the top panel is much narrower than on the standard wagon, but I couldn't get a clear photo of that!)

Unfortunately, being HO, the Electrotren model is also a bit too small, but possibly wouldn't look out of place marshalled with other HO ferry vans.

Here's a comparison with a VDA van:

attachicon.gifTransfesa1.jpg

One day I might scratchbuild a rake of these but it doesn't look like the easiest job in the world to get right!

Mal

Just out of interest Mal, have you managed to replace the awful wheels on your Rivarossi van? I've tried but it's too tight for my new wheels to turn 

Satan's review of Roco's 4 wheel flat mentioned above.

first up, it came with a ho 40ft container in, seen here by an oo container it's obviously a little too short. However I don't think length will be an issue as it's just going to be used as a runner wagon.

post-9147-0-32570000-1404069540_thumb.jpg

It's length is comparable to other oo wagons though :) :

post-9147-0-28248500-1404069715_thumb.jpg

of all the symbols and lettering on the side, the anchor or CT symbol aren't included. It comes to the same width as the oo wagon, I suspect in ho it would be out of gauge for the uk but for oo use this probably works out better than if it had been a ho uk gauge wagon. I just need to colour match for the anchor transfers.

post-9147-0-53067800-1404069945_thumb.jpg

with 1 of the 2 cargo wagons it'll working runner for. The nem pocket is lower but the rest of the wagon is high enough that I'll still need to remove the ends and 1st of the 6 side sections to create clearance for overhanging loads. I'll need to remove the end stakes for the cargo wagon too.

post-9147-0-89738600-1404070193_thumb.jpg

Width is a spot-on match.

post-9147-0-21469900-1404070236_thumb.jpg

just need a second cargowaggon and some suitably long loads now :)

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest Mal, have you managed to replace the awful wheels on your Rivarossi van? I've tried but it's too tight for my new wheels to turn 

That one is Marklin, and my others are Acme, so I've not had any wheel issues, sorry!

Mal

Archived