Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gaugemaster and consisting/double heading.

250BOB

Two of my friends operate using the Gaugemaster PA2.

When running consists or D/Headers, if a short occurs , the info for the locos is lost, and it all needs setting up again.

Is this standard with Gaugemaster , as it is NOT the case with my Lenz system. It is proving a pain in the backside to both of them. ?

It depends on what form of consisting you are using. Lenz typically uses advanced consisting, which writes into CV19 in the decoders. This information won't be lost, and all locos will respond to the consist address, not their own. I'm assuming that the Gaugemaster is using universal consisting, where the consist is managed in the controller and commands are sent out to the consisted locos by addressing them individually with their adresses.

If you set up a consist using CV19, it shouldn't be affected by a short.

Of course, the easiest way to fix this is to remove the source of the shorts. If they are common enough that this is a problem, then there is something that needs addressing.

Adrian

The MRC/Gaugemaster has these foibles.  Its the only case where I've fitted a current limiting car indicator bulb for a friend, as a means to avoid system resets.  Known as the Idiot Indicator because it uses a car indicator lamp (including the holder/lens) and indicates that an idiot has driven a train into an incorrectly set turnout crossing. 

For the original question, manually setting CV19 for consists would avoid the "forgetting" problem.  But, it does introduce another, where operators have to remember they have set the consist address and un-set it when finished, or spend ages puzzling why their loco no longer responds ! 

I have to say I have never encountered this problem with my PA2. As was mentioned this should not happen when using Advance Consisting as the information is stored in the decoder.

They are not yet using advanced consisting....just the method whereby you bring up one loco, then add another to it.....I think its called simply Double Heading.

They will try out the advance consisting soon.

What brand of decoders and is op on DC turned off in decoders.?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

they are both Bachmann in one double header formation......I dont know about the other pal of mine.

Both of them have dual wired layouts, as they gradually convert to DCC completely....so having DC switched on is how they will be.

Bob

They are not yet using advanced consisting....just the method whereby you bring up one loco, then add another to it.....I think its called simply Double Heading.

They will try out the advance consisting soon.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, Bob. Which option are they using on the PA controller? If you press the DBL/Head button and use the CON/SET option then you are using Advanced Consisting.

I'm not sure either.....I'm a Lenz user.....its my two pals I'm asking on behalf of.

But.....I thought there was a simple double heading method...where you add one loco to another, and drive the formation using the number of the lead loco.

I thought advanced consisting was where you give the formation a completley different number i.e. consist 8 for example.????

Bob

A quick read of the short Prodigy manual will show that it supports both Advanced Consists (CV19) and Command Station Managed consists ("Old Style" in the terms of the manual).

If a reset is causing the Prodigy to forget the consist, then it is the Command Station Managed consists which are in use.

A quick read of the short Prodigy manual will show that it supports both Advanced Consists (CV19) and Command Station Managed consists ("Old Style" in the terms of the manual).

If a reset is causing the Prodigy to forget the consist, then it is the Command Station Managed consists which are in use.

Thats clearly what is happening Nigel..........as I understand it, the D/Heading is using the command station, hence information being lost.   It needs to be done using Advanced Consisting which stores the information in the locos decoder.....I think thats how I understand it now.

Thanks...............Bob.

Thats clearly what is happening Nigel..........as I understand it, the D/Heading is using the command station, hence information being lost.   It needs to be done using Advanced Consisting which stores the information in the locos decoder.....I think thats how I understand it now.

Thanks...............Bob.

You've got it. The issue might be that the decoders in question may not support CV19. A number of the cheaper decoders don't.

Adrian

You've got it. The issue might be that the decoders in question may not support CV19. A number of the cheaper decoders don't.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I shall discuss with my Gaugemaster pals, and set them right.

Bob.

Archived