The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Personal info in uploaded pictures, including your address.

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

This video is a bit scary, if you have a valuable collection of models:

The EXIF data in an image might be useful to you -- to remember where you took a photo for example, or on which camera. So it would be a shame to turn it off on the camera.

But it is easy to remove the data before uploading, and you can do it in Windows, you don't need the Irfanview plugin-in shown the video.

Find the image on your computer and right-click on it.

Select Properties.

You then see this dialog:

post-1103-0-42388000-1395917448.png

Click the Details tab. You can then see what data the image contains.

Click the Remove Properties and Personal Information link.

You then get a choice of which data to remove. Even if you select "all", some non-sensitive data will remain, such as the focal length of the lens, etc.

Click OK.

A copy of the image file will be created without the sensitive data. Make sure you upload the new copy image and not the original. It will be called "Copy" or have a later date.

Martin.

I can't install the plug-in to Irfanview at work, the standard properties does not show the gps data, but is it present just not displayed in the Windows properties? 

The GPS location will be shown in the Windows properties if it is recorded (this is with Win 7, can't speak for earlier versions). So, for example, photos taken with my Canon G12 show no GPS data but those from my HTC smart phone do have it (obviously because the G12 has no inbuilt GPS receiver, but the HTC does).

Nick

Archived