Upgrading Original Tri-ang Hornby 9F

• RMweb Premium

Alongside my up-to-date super-detailed S&DJR (BR) fleet, I still have my original 1970s / 80s locos with detailed bodies but basic chassis; (no brakegear, etc.).

I have recently decided that, instead of disposing of them, I will bring them a little closer to modern standards.

Amongst others, the Tri-ang / Airfix kit West Country,  the Tri-ang / Airfix kit BR 4MT 2-6-0 and the Tri-ang BR 3MT 2-6-2T will all have new Kemilway chassis with Markits wheels, and the Airfix 4Fs and 2Ps will have Comet chassis with Mashima motors and Markits wheels.

The original Ringfield tender-drive Tri-ang - Hornby 9F will have its loco chassis block milled in order to install a High Level slimline gearbox and a Mashima motor / Markits wheels.

I would like to replace the coupling / connecting rods and valvegear od the 9F with current production items, but am unsure whether the chassis axle spacing on the original chassis matches the current production.

I appreciate that neither is likely to be to prototypical dimensions, due to limited clearances between oversize model flanges but, if the axle spacing matches, fitting slimmer rods should not be too difficult.

Can anyone advise if the axle spacing matches?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

I can tell you the Hornby china made 9F parts will fit the older Hornby model as the wheelsets are unaltered in the spacing.

The motion plate and the cylinder block were changed on the china and to fit would need to be used on the older chassis but should

fit the older block. Only the Bachmann version i can be unsure of

• RMweb Premium

I can tell you the Hornby china made 9F parts will fit the older Hornby model as the wheelsets are unaltered in the spacing.

The motion plate and the cylinder block were changed on the china and to fit would need to be used on the older chassis but should

fit the older block. Only the Bachmann version i can be unsure of

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

...The original Ringfield tender-drive Tri-ang - Hornby 9F will have its loco chassis block milled in order to install a High Level slimline gearbox and a Mashima motor / Markits wheels...

You may encounter a minor 'wrinkle' with the axle diameters. I converted one of these T-H 9Fs to loco drive and it became apparent that the brass bearings were matched to the axles which varied somewaht in diameter. It may prove necessary to very slightly ream out some bearings to allow the Markits axles to fit.

Another job that I think well worthwhile since you will be fitting slimmer profile wheels to replace the T-H steam roller wheelsets is to shorten the bracket integral with the cylinders to bring the overall width over the cylinder casings down to near scale.

• RMweb Premium

You may encounter a minor 'wrinkle' with the axle diameters. I converted one of these T-H 9Fs to loco drive and it became apparent that the brass bearings were matched to the axles which varied somewaht in diameter. It may prove necessary to very slightly ream out some bearings to allow the Markits axles to fit.

Another job that I think well worthwhile since you will be fitting slimmer profile wheels to replace the T-H steam roller wheelsets is to shorten the bracket integral with the cylinders to bring the overall width over the cylinder casings down to near scale.

Very helpful - thank you.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

John, did you ever do this? I'm interested in converting my Triang Evening Star to loco drive, amongst other things .....

Not yet - all the makings are in an old Ferrero Rocher box, awaiting the time and inclination to adapt the old chassis block.

178052293_CHASSIS-MASHIMAHIGHLEVELSLIMLINER.JPG.47ded6c5ea42e5edfe1002d95f2b2ba6.JPG

However, I am confident that the project is viable.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Just to put a spanner in my works, I've just bought a railroad 9F cheap(ish) without tender, which I don't need in this case ...

Thanks anyway :)

That'll be the BR Standard 9MT 2-10-4T then!

Looking forward to seeing that one - do you have access to a milling machine? I seem to recall that paraffin is recommended as a lubricant for drilling / milling mazak.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Yes, but with the RR 9F I'll not need to mill the mazak as it's already loco drive :) What I will need is a current spec Britannia front bogie now ......

Looks like it will still be down to me to pioneer the milling of a Margate undriven 9F chassis block, then.

The trouble is, builders are beavering away, converting our garage into the ultimate railway room. The spare bedroom is laden with boxes full of cork, track, turnouts, controller and power supply components - not to mention a veritable mountain of Airfix and Ratio building kits. I've managed to get my wife interested in constructing the building kits, but I can't see me doing any rolling stock construction in the next twelve months!

John Isherwood.