Blog- Teviotbank for Lessismore - This is Teviotbank: All Change

RSS Fetcher

For several weeks now I have been having misgivings about the evolution of the trackplan at Teviotbank. This was heightened following sight of the Galashiels layout after Beast66606 posted a very informative link to the Signalbox website.

Previously, I've been loosely playing with the fuel-point at the site of the former depot at the notional south (Up) end, adjacent to the branch. At the Down end there has long been a meaningless cluster of loose ends amid a bit of scenic space. Neither of these were sitting particularly convincingly, the erstwhile locoshed too squashed and the other lot straggly and unfocused. However, I've been preoccupied with not only the signalling plan, but also the first recorded photo of the spacious goods yard at Gala. Freight ran until the end, in fact outlived the closure of the line as a through route, until April '69. Thus I've been eager for more space to recreate this aspect, that I now see as signature traffic in the same way as the through trains and intensive parcels service.

So... last night, aided by a couple of refreshments, there was a sudden revelation: swap the short and wide fan of sidings at the north end with the long spindly fuel point space. This way I can get a much better facsimile of the old depot area and crucuially a good space for freight, where either a long raft of opens or vans can sit, or on quiet days there can be a real Less-Is-More flavour with just a couple of wagons present waiting for the coal merchant or tweed mill delivery van...

blogentry-7083-12645137437665_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7083-12645137743598_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7083-12645138427956_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7083-1264513903392_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7083-12645139500131_thumb.jpg

View the full article

Archived