Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gaugemaster DCC27

irishthump

Guys,

I picked up a couple of these decoders but I can't seem to find an instruction manual on the Gaugemaster website. Can I assume that these are

OPTI decoders and use the same manual as the DCC25/26 models?

The reason I need the manual is that I'm having trouble setting up the decoders. They run fine straight out the box but I want to reduce the loco's top speed, but after reducing the Top Voltage the loco won't move at all on speed step 1 and no amount of adjusting of the Start Voltage makes any difference! Yet the loco moves off when you increase to speed step 2. Very peculiar.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Andrew.

The reason I wanted the manual was that I was having trouble setting up the StartV, MidV and TopV on the decoder. When using 28 speed steps the decoder would not respond to changes to those CV's. I contacted Gaugemaster and they referred me to the manual for DCC25/26 but I had no luck. They also suggested trying 128 speed steps which did work, but I wasn't happy with this. I have several DCC25 decoders and these all work on 28 speed steps which is my preference for all my locos so I relegated the DCC27's to little used engines on my layout.

Always a case of you get what you pay for I think.

I have always preferred to spend an extra few quid on a quality decoder to put into my locomotives.  Whats the point in spending £100 or thereabouts on a fine loco.....then skimping on the decoder.

I did this in my early DCC years......tried all the cheaper decoders, most of which ended up failing, and then settled on Lenz decoders which have served me admirably. 

Bob.

I understand that, but here's the rub....

I also bought 2 DCC Concepts decoders and I get the same problems on 28 speed steps! I'm using a Gaugemaster PA2 buy the way.

I personally had no success at all with the half dozen or so DCC Concepts decoders I had........all eventually failing.....wont go there again. 

Archived