Blog- Building GWR coaches - A Star is born

RSS Fetcher

Not a GWR coach at all - but it didn't seem worthwhile starting a new thread for one picture. I'd asked elsewhere about problems with the old Hornby Saint - and wow was that a case of lighting the blue touch paper and retiring.

Anyway it stirred me into having a go at knocking up a Star (Saint to Star? Don't ask) I can't claim any credit for the process as its all detailed elsewhere on other threads - have a look at the thread on the Hornby Saint for the links.

This is based on the old Airfix Castle, but I've been lucky enough to get hold of a Hogwarts Castle for under ??20 of ebay and will be using the motorised chassis and tender from that to put under the Airfix body, and dispensing with the Airfix tender drive. I'm intending to model "Glastonbury Abbey" as I quite like the sound of it and it also had the larger style tender. A paint job for this and the red hogwarts tender awaits but I'm in a quandary as to whether these engines carried BR black in the early BR days, or lined green. They were after all express locos which would suggest green but the only colour photo I've come across (and believe me finding any photos of Stars is a challenge) would seem suggest black? Alternatively as the proposed railway is meant to be 1950, I might go for a late GWR livery.

Anyone any thoughts on livery?

Rovex

blogentry-7075-12645293048057_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7075-12645293759904.jpg

View the full article

Archived