The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Marking-up a railtour route map

Debs.

My dear-parents now being in their late 80`s, I`m always looking for ways to give them fun/interesting days out without them having any organisational hassle.

With that in mind, I came upon and booked them an interesting scenic railtour to Western-Scotland in early May.

The route begins at Hooton (Wirral) and ends up in Ayr......but all I know of the trip, is the scant info. on boarding times and the route, as quoted below:

Travel on this excursion, diesel hauled in comfortable Intercity carriages with choice of pickups between Chester, Mid Cheshire, Stockport, Manchester, Bolton & Preston.

BRIEF ROUTE COMMENTARY: The train journey starts on the West Coast route via Morecambe Bay, the Lakes and Cumbria, climbing over Shap Fells and running via the Eden Valley before heading up through Carlisle. We are booked to run between Carlisle and Ayrshire via the “Glasgow and South Western Mainline” which runs via Dumfries, New Cumnock and Kilmarnock through a similarly scenic area to our usual Beattock route to Scotland, rarely traversed these days, so this will be a rare opportunity to sample this very pretty line.

HOOTON 05:55 23:50 CHESTER 06:15 23:30 MOULDSWORTH 06:30 23:15 CUDDINGTON 06:40 23:05 GREENBANK 06:50 22:55 NORTHWICH 07:00 22:45 PLUMLEY 07:10 22:35 KNUTSFORD 07:20 22:25 MOBBERLEY 07:25 22:20 HALE 07:30 22:15 ALTRINCHAM 07:35 22:10 STOCKPORT 07:55 21:50 MANCHESTER VICTORIA 08:15 21:35 BOLTON 08:35 21:15 CHORLEY 08:50 21:00 PRESTON 09:10 20:45

N.B: Times on left are departure; on the right for return.

What I`d like to do, is mark-up and print-off a railtour route map (but not in too-great a scale/detail) for my parents to be able to peruse before and during the trip.........does anyone know of a program that can be used to overlay a railway-route onto a map; I think I could do it for road routes with various street-mapping programmes, but a way of doing same with the railway aspect would seem more elusive.

TIA......

Deb. and Co(llies)

Dave, Thanks very much; that`s absolutely brilliant timings/route info. and exactly what I had in mind for them to peruse in advance and also to take with them on the day.

It`s nearly 70 years since they previously visited Sctoland (back them it was via rail also) and this tour will surely be a nice re-introduction.......it`ll be a long day out for them (I`ll be packing them a 'day-long' picnic); and also for me as I`ll be taking them to the station early doors and collecting them at nearly midnight......It`ll be quite an adventure.

Away-off to print out the info. and map now, Thanks again. :good:

Deb and family.

Archived