Suggestions of locos for small 009 layout

Vicar47

I've decided to have a go at making a pizza-type layout as a change from more serious modelling. I'm using a picture frame about 40x50 cm as the baseboard surround. I've seen smaller layouts so I'm hopeful it will work and allow me to try out a few scenic experiments. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best loco/chassis to use for what will be very sharp radii? Is it best to stick to 0-4-0 or will an 0-6-0 be OK? Are there any RTR locos that would be suitable.

It sounds like you'll be using curves about 7" radius, which are pretty tight even for 009. I once had a layout with similar curves, though not a full circle, so it can be done!

You will need short locos without large overhangs - coupling swing will be a big issue. Yes, 0-4-0's will be safest, a vary short wheelbase 0-6-0 might just be OK. You'll need stock (wagons and coaches) with similar lengths and overhang too.

There are suitable R-T-R locos but only continental, HOe scale: 

- The Lilliput diesel, reputed to be an excellent runner: http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/LILIPUT.html

- The Minitrains Gmeinder diesel, or Kraus steam loco, both are nice and short so should work well: http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Locomotives.html

There are other options, such as second-hand through the 009 society sales (at NG exhibitions, or join the society). Also Paul Windle scratch-builds 009 locos to order for reasonable prices. Not quite ready-to-run but there's a good selection of 3-D printed bodies for N-gauge chassis that are easy to put together, and of course the traditional white-metal kits.

Do you have preferences for era, steam/diesel, setting?

The essential feature is that the coupled end of all the vehicles must have as short a distance between the nearest wheel set to that end and the actual buffered end as practical. If you look at photos of 0-4-0 steam locos (narrow or standard gauge) you will find that these have a big overhang at the cab end and therefore an 0-6-0 with decent side play on the middle set of wheels may work better than an 0-4-0.

Internal combustion locos tend to be less of a problem (they don't have a firebox that the axles have to avoid) but you still need to choose carefully, similarly with rolling stock.

To give a prototype example, the smallest radius recommended for use with 2 foot gauge, small i/c locos (Ruston, Simplex, etc) and simple tipper wagons was 36 feet, which scales at 144 mm or just under 6 inches in 009.

Meridian and Nigel Lawton do suitable kits.

Oh - and avoid reverse curves, always insert a short straight section.

Archived