• RMweb Gold

Hi

I've recently installed the first 4 cobalt point motors which operate fine but when it comes to running a loco it shorts and stops dead on all frogs apart from one (bottom left in the pic below) I've followed the wiring guides and search the web but can't see anything wrong. The layout is DCC but the cobalts are run of a dc supply.

I've tried removing the wires and replacing one at a time etc but no joy, can anyone help as I'm now at the point of scrapping the layout :(

Many thanks

Paul

post-18716-0-62083500-1396683071_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul, are the frog rails that meet each other on the other sets of points on metal or plastic joiners ? If they are on a loop system and the frogs are not isolated with a plastic joiner or air gap they will short out

Best regards

Craig

If you are using Cobalts in cross-overs you need to take care about the polarity of the power connections.  Here is a picture of two opposing Cobalts installed under my own layout showing the power feeds reversed on one point.  It's all about keeping left and right on the same side :)

Hope that helps?

Richard

post-18453-0-99737900-1396685445.jpg

But I use a DCC supply and Digital motors so maybe this doesn't apply to you.  As mark axlecounter has said a picture would be useful.

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies, I've just nipped out for the moment but as soon as I'm back home I'll take some pics and I'll try and put a wiring diagram on, when running the motors of dc but the track is dcc does there need to be a feed into the point motor ie to feed the track? I'll try and get a few pics on in the next hour or so, thanks again for the help.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

If you are using Cobalts in cross-overs you need to take care about the polarity of the power connections.  Here is a picture of two opposing Cobalts installed under my own layout showing the power feeds reversed on one point.  It's all about keeping left and right on the same side :)

Hope that helps?

Richard

attachicon.gifP1020228_RMWEB.jpg

But I use a DCC supply and Digital motors so maybe this doesn't apply to you.  As mark axlecounter has said a picture would be useful.

Hi Richard and everyone else who's given advice.

I followed this picture above and swapped the power feed on one of the cobalts on one of the two opposing point motors and it worked!! I've done this on one if the two cobalt motors on the other set of points and it all runs great.

Thanks very much to everyone for their help and advice, I can go back to bed now having been up all night trying to figure it out!! Oh wait I can't I've got two kids :/

Thanks again

(A very happy) Paul

• RMweb Gold

That's the great thing about this forum, the helpfulness of others to help out fellow modellers who are having a problem  :friends:

Happy modelling

Craig.

Hi Craig

I totally agree mate, I've been trying to sort it for the last couple of days, then after half an hour of posting the question the problem was sorted. This forum and the people on here are great, an it's also great when you can help fellow modellers out to, hopefully I'll be able to return the favour to someone one day :)

Thanks

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Nice to know you've got it working!

These are the Cobalt Digital type looking at the pictures.

Looking at the instructions, the frog wire automatically gets fed from internal switches when you switch the point so it's a case of making sure the power feeds are correct.

I've just bought 3 of these.

Had a nightmare time trying to program them from a Hornby Elite or Select.

Following the added note in the pack I tried using a 400ohm resistor still no joy, I managed to program tand operate hem all with a PowerCab.

I couldn't even operate them with the Hornby stuff.

I tried different value resistors and using a lower value resistor I managed to be able to actually operate them with the Elite and Select.

The movement was painfully slow though.

I kept moving it back and forwards until it freed up and little and started to move better.

I found that a 215ohm resistor allowed me to program and operate them from the Select and Elite with no issues.

This gave a better speed of movement, I think that once they've been "run in" so to speak I could possibly go back up to the recommended 400ohm resistor.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Nice to know you've got it working!

These are the Cobalt Digital type looking at the pictures.

Looking at the instructions, the frog wire automatically gets fed from internal switches when you switch the point so it's a case of making sure the power feeds are correct.

I've just bought 3 of these.

Had a nightmare time trying to program them from a Hornby Elite or Select.

Following the added note in the pack I tried using a 400ohm resistor still no joy, I managed to program tand operate hem all with a PowerCab.

I couldn't even operate them with the Hornby stuff.

I tried different value resistors and using a lower value resistor I managed to be able to actually operate them with the Elite and Select.

The movement was painfully slow though.

I kept moving it back and forwards until it freed up and little and started to move better.

I found that a 215ohm resistor allowed me to program and operate them from the Select and Elite with no issues.

This gave a better speed of movement, I think that once they've been "run in" so to speak I could possibly go back up to the recommended 400ohm resistor.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

The cobalts I'm using are analogue dc, an the pics are of Richard's cobalts thankfully I got mine sorted before had to take pics to show up my dodgy wiring ;) mine switch quite well, here's a link to a short clip of them, sorry about the quality I uploaded HD but it turned out not very good.

Cheers

Paul

Archived