The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On The Morality of a Property Ladder

Mickey

we actually have had an offer tabled at ??8k above our initial asking (as we wanted to move quickly) and yet more viewings- its not all doom & gloom!

a bit wierd really as apart from painting everything neutral we havent really done much else, though the kitchen is new-ish it was done with cheap bankrupt stock and it shows in a few places!

What was I saying about markets being irrational.. :lol: :lol:

Markets generally find their own level; and a well-installed kitchen is definitely worth paying for.

If I were to buy one of the houses that you've fitted out, I would be able to take a good look and satisfy myself that teh fittings were well installed.

If I were to buy a similar house without the fittings, I should then have to pay the cost of the fittings, and find a suitable tradesman to fit them, and pay his charges. If I were new to the area (as many people are) I might have to run the risk that I ended up hiring a duff workman. Then there's the inconvenience and the possible delay; not to mention the possible headache of payment disputes etc.

A typically "male" approach to house purchase - practical, requirement: a working tidy kitchen

Unfortunately the typical "female" approach is - the colour isn't right, the cooker is the wrong style, where am I going to put the ornaments, pots, pans, ..., it is out of fashion.

Every house move we have made has been followed within a couple of years with a new kitchen, new bathroom, ... and a couple of them have been to brand new houses.

On the subject of "affordable" housing (whatever that means) for Cornwall - or anywhere - they need to build more then the price will drop ... but the "developers" will not do this. Are the housing associations/council building houses?

• RMweb Premium

A typically "male" approach to house purchase - practical, requirement: a working tidy kitchen

Unfortunately the typical "female" approach is - the colour isn't right, the cooker is the wrong style, where am I going to put the ornaments, pots, pans, ..., it is out of fashion.

Every house move we have made has been followed within a couple of years with a new kitchen, new bathroom, ... and a couple of them have been to brand new houses.

On the subject of "affordable" housing (whatever that means) for Cornwall - or anywhere - they need to build more then the price will drop ... but the "developers" will not do this. Are the housing associations/council building houses?

Rarely due to right to buy still hanging on,however locally Bolsover are building replacements for some post war prefabs but only around 20 homes. Affordable housing or part own part rent are specified on planning permissions for developers locally.

Archived