Help with Parkside Dundas Grampus sought. 4mm.

Jamiel

Am I seeing this right....???

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Same wagon, other side...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

?

Best,

Marcus

Not uncommon, Marcus; when I had to check wagon identities at BSC Landore (dark and lonely work, but someone had to do it..), I very quickly discovered that the wagon plate was the most accurate means of finding the real number. Apart from painted numbers being different on both sides, I found a vehicle numbered as ex-LMS coaching stock with a DM xxxxxx M number- it was a 16t mineral..

It is however one of the rake of wagons I am building, a BR 13 Ton Medium Goods Wagon - Steel Body (Diag. 1/019) - I think, so does fit well the 'Grampuses', or it that 'Grampi', as they were used for spoil in engineers rakes (or so Parkside Dundas say).

Thanks for posting that Marcus, and for the comments about its numbering and identification. It would appear that  can throw any sort departmental number at it then, and not be far wide of the mark, although I might just copy those markings and then say 'I have evidence' if challenged,

Is that in the bay platforms at the North end of Doncaster Station? Many happy days spent there spotting in the late 70's.

Hopefully I will have the shed finished soon, the base boards back down, and have an opportunity to post some photos of the completed rake of wagons, reversed brake gear and all. It has been a fun project, although some of the kits have been a little challenging for someone coming back to modelling after a long break (Cambrian Dog and Catfish particularly).

After that, on to the Presflos I think.

All the comments have been very helpful, both with returning to the hobby fater a long break, and also modelling a period from just before I was born (and on to may late teens), mean that help from everyone on the forum is greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Jamie

I have the Grampus as well as the 13t on my list for a short engineers train - along with a Sturgeon - representing the track lifting train as it ran down the Buntingford Branch in 1965. I was looking out for pictures of chassis to see if Justin Newitts 21t/12' unfitted chassis was right for the Grampus - it seems so. That's how I came across the 13ton wagon and decided to add that to the mix. I can't recall where the photo was taken - it's not one of mine. The 13t wagon chassis that puzzles me...way over the top on those springs/J- hangers..?

Best,

Marcus

Jamie

I have the Grampus as well as the 13t on my list for a short engineers train - along with a Sturgeon - representing the track lifting train as it ran down the Buntingford Branch in 1965. I was looking out for pictures of chassis to see if Justin Newitts 21t/12' unfitted chassis was right for the Grampus - it seems so. That's how I came across the 13ton wagon and decided to add that to the mix. I can't recall where the photo was taken - it's not one of mine. The 13t wagon chassis that puzzles me...way over the top on those springs/J- hangers..?

Best,

Marcus

The Grampus used a RCH 12' standard underframe, albeit with BR Plate axleguards, so Justin's underframe kit would be just the job.

The 13-ton Medfit was basically a steel-bodied version of the LMS 3-plank fitted open; the underframe shown was common to ex-LMS fitted Opens and vans. Those fitted with vacuum brakes and shoe suspension were vehicles converted in the post- Modernisation Plan drive to fit continuous brakes to unfitted stock. Most of the Medfits went over early on to engineers' use; I recollect them forming about 50% of the stock on spoil workings to Alsager tip at the end of the 1970s. The steel doors and ends meant they survived the loading/ unloading better than the wooden-bodied stock.

Justin also does a chassis for the Medfit in RCH or BR axleguard types. I think it might be too early an adoption by the engineers for the end of the 'Bunt' but as a revenue earning wagon, certainly to period (1965).

By the way, did Jim S-W ever etch those baskets for the Grampus end planks that were the subject of rumour some while back?

I suppose I'll have to actually build them now...

Best,

Marcus

Am I seeing this right....???

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Same wagon, other side...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

?

Best,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I took the photos because I was surprised to come across such a mistake, and have the opportunity to photograph both sides of the wagon. I came across a few instances of mistakes with wagon numbers, but rarely had chance to photo them.

As this thread is about Grampii I thought I would add a couple I have of the D2578 Loco groups own Grampus undergoing a partial floor replacement. Shows a bit of the frame detail. Later on this year it's intended to replace the whole floor so I should be able to get shots of the whole wagon frame.

post-7146-0-13511000-1426680459_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-47476700-1426680466_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

As for the modelling side of all this - with profuse thanks for the pictures of the Grampus under restoration - I thought I would throw in the attached. It is a Dapol Grampus body (a £2 experiment courtesy of Hattons) plonked on top of Justin's 21t/12' underframe, destined elsewhere, to see if it would fit. As it does, my direction is now toward the Parkside kit as the Dapol has no interior detail. A body kit and some brass strip for the door bangers (what ARE they called?? 'Door bangers' usually turn out to be unwanted peddlars...), lop off the little round things on the sides (you know what I mean) and we're away...post-6357-0-81341400-1426810203.jpg

Best,

Marcus

Archived