6998 and another at Droitwich Spa in 1986

martin_wynne

5051 Drysllywyn Castle possibly ?? - Can't remember specifically but I think they did rail tours together in '85, I was probably standing on the platform at the time, but it seems so long ago...........

The siding to the left, with the coal wagons, were resting place of one of the Cadbury loco's a Ruston, from the nearby Blackpole site.

http://www.miac.org.uk/ncbdroitwich.html

Sadly both the sidings to the left and right have been taken over as car parks, and the station buildings demolished for bus shelters and a soulless brick block.

• RMweb Gold

5051 Drysllywyn Castle possibly ?? - Can't remember specifically but I think they did rail tours together in '85, I was probably standing on the platform at the time, but it seems so long ago...........

My hazy recollection is that they were returning from turning on the triangle at Worcester. This was before the installation of the turntable at Kidderminster (SVR) in the 1990s.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly both the sidings to the left and right have been taken over as car parks.

Hi Peter,

Here's another pic of Droitwich in the mid 1980s. Ruston "The Sheriff" is just hiding behind the signal post. The Wychbold 1500m long wave transmitter masts are visible on the horizon:

post-1103-0-27851600-1397399216.jpg

And:

post-1103-0-48807000-1397399087.jpg

Martin.

. The Wychbold 1500m long wave transmitter masts are visible on the horizon:

They're still there, it's the way I know I'm home when coming in from M5 or M42, lit up at night with re warning  lights. Thankfully the signal box is also present in the junction.

Lovely photo's Martin, anyone know where Ruston 'The Sheriff' went,? Though it wasn't a Bournville loco it would be nice to get around to modelling it one day as a visitor.

• RMweb Gold

. The Wychbold 1500m long wave transmitter masts are visible on the horizon:

They're still there, it's the way I know I'm home when coming in from M5 or M42, lit up at night with re warning  lights.

Hi Peter,

Yes the red lights are visible for many miles around. The future of the aged long-wave transmitter has been in doubt for the last few years:

"In 2011 as part of the BBC cuts it was announced that there would be no re-investment in long wave which may mean an eventual end to BBC Radio 4 on Long Wave. It was later announced that the transmitter relies on a pair of metre-high glass valves that last between one and ten years. There were fewer than ten remaining in the world, and the corporation was not inclined to go to the expense of manufacturing new ones."

But it seems that it has been reprieved -- planned work on the site this summer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/help-receiving/droitwich_planned_work

I remember visiting the site for an open day as a schoolboy in the 1950s. I recall lots of polished metal and wood, brass dials and switches, polished floors, and neat lawns and gardens around the building. There were ornamental gates on the main road proudly proclaiming "BBC" and a tree-lined drive up to the building. This is what it looks like today:

http://binged.it/1grTwmL

http://goo.gl/maps/HZoUm

Not what it was, but still pleasantly tidy. Well done current owners Arqiva.

droit1937halla.jpg

linked from: http://www.bbceng.info/Operations/transmitter_ops/Reminiscences/Droitwich/droitwich_calling.htm

I have just found these notes about the 1957 open day. That makes me 9 years old at the time: :)

From: http://www.bbceng.info/Operations/transmitter_ops/Reminiscences/Droitwich/droitwich_calling.htm

" OPEN DAYS

In 1957 an open day was planned for the Droitwich Transmitting Station.  This was to be a trial run to ascertain the public interest in the technical side of broadcasting and Droitwich was chosen because of its central position and easy access.  The date chosen was the 27th April and work started several months beforehand making and erecting signs and explanatory notices together with barriers to keep visitors from touching vital equipment.  A route was planned directing visitors through the main building containing 5GB and 5XX, across the field beneath the aerials and masts, and into the H.P.L.W. building.  The tour was organised to take in as much equipment of interest as possible.  The Police and Automobile Association arranged to control traffic and parking and provision was made for a first-aid post to be run by St. John's Ambulance Brigade.   Rotas were drawn up for staff to act as marshalls, occupying key positions to answer questions and keep visitors from wandering off the route.

DroitwichOD57_4.jpg

DroitwichOD57_1_small.jpg

Droitwich 1957:  Scenes from the open day

Click on the four lower pictures to see larger versions,

then click the browser's Back button to return.

DroitwichOD57_3_small.jpg DroitwichOD57_2_small.jpg DroitwichOD57_5_small.jpg

The weather on the open day turned out to be fine and warm and attendance exceeded all expectations.  Visitors started arriving early and by the official opening time of 10.00 am there were already 160 people on site.  The numbers gradually increased and by the peak time of 3.30 pm over six thousand visitors had passed through, 1550 being on site at that time.  The A38 main Worcester road had traffic  jams  in  both  directions  keeping  the Police and A.A. busy controlling the vehicles entering and leaving the station drive.  Caterers in the large refreshment marquee in the field were overwhelmed with customers and a bookstall set up by BBC Publications in the main building was completely sold out.  By the end of the day nearly thirteen thousand visitors had toured the station and when the gates were closed at 8.00 pm 260 were still on the premises.  Such was the interest shown by the public that open days were planned for other stations, particularly the new television transmitters.  Two further open days were organised at Droitwich, in 1961 and 1963, but the great public interest was never repeated and the attendance in 1963 was only about 2000 visitors.  Open days are now occasions of the past as security prohibits general access to technical areas."

Martin.

Archived