Blog- Coombe Junction : Kyle in a Boxfile 2FS - Kyle - Scope checks...

RSS Fetcher

Update - Following withdrawal of CJ from the GJLC it is now time to put the foot to the pedal with Kyle, which at least is easier to transport and is making its debut in 108 days.

I still need to complete the turnouts and am pondering means of operation following all the fellow informative posts of recent however it is likely that they will remain low tech in order to reduce weight, simplify the sparks and balance costs. Most probably wire in tube using a dpdt switch for the two turnouts and manual moveable magnets for the DG's...still sketching that one.

From the 2 previous mock ups I have now decided upon a backscene height which seems to be in proprtion to the layout. For these I am thinking to use an existing photo of the station and using one of those panoramic photo packages see what can be produced using a bit of cut and paste.

The two main viewing boards have been made from foamboard and although a tad scrappy at present will receive a thin veneer of either card or modelling ply. The two boards which form the fiddleyard have also been made from foamboard and the idea now is that these are stored 'upside down' in the other boxfile and contain the cassettes and rolling stock inside.

A few pics attached of progress with 'out of the box' Dapol sprinter posing whilst it awaits rewheeling...

blogentry-3290-12646058423756.jpg

Quick check to see that the two boards still fit...

blogentry-3290-12646058845288.jpg

Other two boards will act as rolling stock storage...

blogentry-3290-12646059425043.jpg

Overall shot of layout - 1200mm x 120mm...

blogentry-3290-12646059872065.jpg

Backscene in place...

It's only a small layout but I hope it will convey and capture a sense of the Scottish prototype...

View the full article

Archived