Hornby Thomas 0-6-0 to a 2-6-2

Hi all,

A number of years ago I was bought a Hornby Thomas set, now it really doesn't fit in with my planned 0n16.5 gauge layout, but I could use the chassis for a scratch build project of mine.

For my project in need an 00 gauge 2-6-2 chassis so I thought, is it possible to extend thomas to make him a 2-6-2?

I thought the couplings being screwed on would help a lot as they wont be needed, could I used the screws to attach a bogie to the front and back of the chassis?

I will probably have to scratch build the bogies but I am planning to use the Hornby spare wagon wheels and I would like the bogies to be able to rotate and the wheels to spin freely.

Does anyone have any advice for this project? It will be a long term one as I don't get much modelling time but I hope its possible because I would like a small fleet of these locos so they need the same chassis.

Also does anyone know if this is the same chassis as on any other Hornby models like the jinty as I know Hornby does this alot.

Thanks

Jordan

Yes Hornby uses one standard 0-6-0 tank chassis.

Maybe if you look at the Comet website they might have an etched kit for pony trucks that you can use as they make chassis kits

and components?

Draw a scale plan of your proposed model to the same size as you intend to make it. Just an outline of the tanks, boiler, footplate and wheels will do. Likewise draw a plan of the Hornby chassis so you can superimposed  it on your loco plan.

Scan or photograph the plan and show it to us here on the website so that we can see exactly what you have in mind.

The coupling screws should be strong enough to hold pony trucks.

Archived