Grandtline GE 25tonner

w124bob

I have one of these waiting on the work(looks more like skip at the moment)bench. One option for power is the motor bogie from a Bachmann 44tonner, second option is an expensive power bogie from Bullant or thirdly build it with mech supplied. So has anyone done one and what power options did you use. The Bachmann option is by far the easiest if I can find the early twin power truck version(looking for one, cash waiting!) could always build a second then. 

I built one a few years ago and used the motor it came with. If I had the time or expertise, I would've used another drive. The stock motor is noisy and a bit herky-jerky.

By the way, do you have a plan to add weight? I weighted mine with little metal pellets and performance improved a bit.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bill

Dear Bob,

+1 for the B'mann 44-tonner truck, if you can pickup some spare which haven't been over-oiled.
(excess oil to the mech tends to wick into the motor brushes/commutator area, and is the #1 reason for motor issues on these mechs),

or, if you want a mech which will just keep going and going and going, try a 27:1 ratio Black Beetle power truck...

http://www.steameramodels.com/bbeetle.htm

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Wheelbase is 6ft and 3/8ths, wheel diameter is 33 or 34 inch depending on which spec you read. I mentioned the early 44 tonner bogie as I found a Youtube clip in which the only mod was to make the top flat with Kadee 711 mounts holding it in place. I have found the US Bachmann spares site and the early bogie is available complete at $15 so might go down that road. But I fancied doing the outside con rod version just to be awkward!

The factory mech is not the smoothest runner in my experience...the one I built had a nasty lope to it.  The Grandt box cab to built is the 23 ton (back then it was labeled a 25 ton) which came as the same flat kit but the mech was sold separately.  It uses a coreless Micro-Mo with a 86:1 gear head on it; it was a superb smooth runner.  Nothing else was like it...but it stopped selling when the mech kits hit $50 and eventually $90 retail price.  I've managed to accumulate several of them over the many years...great little things.

Archived